A sad day.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1sQs6f4AU4

We've just returned from Cockermouth - our old home town where our old house is under 6 feet of water. It's eerie and sad as there's a Seaking hovering over the main street rescuing people.
The WHOLE town without doubt is now financially and economically ruined. Not a single shop has escaped the ravages of the unceasing rain. The rumour mill says a young girl is missing too.
A sad, sad day. :cry:

Mark

That's devastating...

I know and like Cockermouth well. I used to have a stall at the annual market/fair each year in a former life.

I heard on the news that 9" of rain has fallen at Seathwaite - in the hills above Cockermouth - on each of the last 2 days. Totally unprecedented; even for the wettest place in England!

It is to be hoped that everyone has adequate insurance. Unfortunately though, they will never be able to get it again...

This my parents house and garage this morning 30 ish miles north. There is a 200 acre loch in the back ground.
20-11-09_115.jpg

It must be so tough for the folks there, life is hard enough as it is, but the lilt of the locals brought back memories of me MUM.

Rich.

The worst floods in British history. It truly is unreal here and a sense of sadness is quite overwhelming. We regularly go to Cockermouth as it's only 5 miles away, to visit family and friends; many who are now homelesss and helpless. Our feelings go out to the lost police officer too.
We're heading out soon to offer help.

Rich - There were some rare old Cumbrian accents on the news BTW. :)

Mark

It's truly awful Woody, but it doesn't end here.

I lived near Kinmel Bay in North Wales when the sea defences gave way in the late '80s and hundreds of homes and businesses were flooded to a similar extent.

It was over a year before people could be moved back into their homes, such is the destructive force of water mixed with raw sewage from the drains. It is not just a case of drying out - the ground floors have to be almost re-built.

The most destructive thing to the community though, is money. Those who have full insurance are OK. The majority of people are under-insured, and many have none at all.

So an appeal goes out, and people contribute generously from around the country. Inevitably, those with the least insurance cover get the most help from the appeal fund.

Boy though, does this cause resentment! 'Feckless chavs' do very nicely while those 'prudent' souls get nothing.

I last visited Kinmel Bay about ten years ago and was told that the resentment was still as raw as ever. Be warned, Woody!

In a similar vein, I did a job for a surveyor a few months ago who had been involved in assessing claims for flood damage in the Hull area a couple of years ago.

Rather than get involved in organising repairs etc, insurance companies attempted to come to cash settlements with people. If repairs would cost £30,000, a cash offer would be made of £20,000. The idea was that individuals would be able to sort their own repairs out more cheaply, doing a lot of the grunt work themselves.

Huge swathes of people took the cash, bought plasma tellies etc, went to Benidorm for a fortnight, returned home to a $hithole, and loudly complained about those 'ba$tard insurance companies'!

I am sure that Cumbrians are a lot more sensible...

Thanks for that Brad - like you say, you've witnessed it and no doubt a deep and troublesome wedge will be driven into the heart of the community in Cockermouth when it comes to insurance claims. :(

Mark

There was a report on our local TV station yesterday evening explaining the heavy rain in Cumbria and here in west Wales. Apparently it was less the fact that the rain fall was exceptional on an hourly basis, more the fact that the weather front remained stationary rather than the usual tracking across country.
Here we have had a spring running down our garden path for the past two days, plus the wether forecasts become more of a joke each day.
Yesterday was billed as heavy rain, so what did we get? Warm, dry and sunny with barely a cloud in the sky.
Today again the forecast was heavy rain throughout the day, the sun came out two hours ago.
The wind has been our biggest problem. I built a hatch into our car port to enable me to get onto the roof. The hatch ended up on the lawn, I have never known the wind from the south be so strong as it has been this week.
Now to fasten the hatch!

Roy.

Just been watching part of the flood clean up in Cumbria, terrible!

Roy.

It's pretty dire to be honest. The infrastructure is shot and queues of traffic stretch endlessly for miles as the main bridges are either closed due to being unsafe or being checked to assess their stability. To make matters worse, it's teemed down all day today. We're a bit gloom struck to say the least. :cry:

Thanks

Mark

I can understand that, but I must say that the stoicism and practicality of the locals that I've seen interviewed has been pretty impressive.
But however practical, it's going to take years to get everything back to 'normal' - which could be this happening again.

By the way - there was a comment in the Daily Mail that this was probably caused by the local authority not sweeping leaves out of the drains, and another that the county authorities had failed to dredge the rivers...
Moonbattery of the highest order.

Smudger":2v5wwkcs said:
By the way - there was a comment in the Daily Mail that this was probably caused by the local authority not sweeping leaves out of the drains, and another that the county authorities had failed to dredge the rivers...
Moonbattery of the highest order.

Don't think it would have made a ha'peth of difference Dick, the deluge that preceded the floods would have (and indeed did) wash away huge trees, let alone a few leaves, and as for dredging rivers...................... :roll:

That was what I meant, after all, whole trees trump a few leaves and the rivers in Cumbria aren't exactly sluggish estuaries, are they?

Some people clearly had no idea about what they were seeing.

Which goes to show that either the people at the Mail know pipper all about geology or assume that the rest of us don't!
With limited soil etc to hold water, field capacity is reached rapidly and is a feature of all rocky terrain. The people were caught out by a freak weather system combined with a certain terrain, not blocked drains.
The frightening thing is that there is nothing to prevent it happening again in the future.
The latest scenes of devastation are terrible, and its ironic that much of the damage seems to have been caused, not so much by the depth of the water, but by its speed, which would probably have cleared blocked drains anyway!

The problem is lack of cleaning drains and rivers.....as you can see from the photos, they forgot to clear away the dead wood! :wink:

_46777708_img_2.jpg

_46777709_img_3.jpg

Oh, sorry..they did!
_46786882_imgp0904.jpg

Mark

Some of the collected wisdom of Daily Mail readers - comments left on their website:

god! its only a bit of rain lets not get hysterical.

- DAVE, safe distance from hull

And guess where Gordon McDoom went on his holidays this year ...

.. the lake district....

the man is a jinx.

- AW, Surrey,

I feel desperately sorry for those people who are having to be rescued by the emergency services in Cockermouth, and other similar areas. BUT i hope they all have contents insurance because i think its very unfair on the rest of us if we, who have paid insurance for years, end up paying for those who havent paid ANYTHING - AGAIN!
- Rudi Mentry, Right here - Right now!!

Drains, grids and gullies no longer cleaned regularly by our councils and streams and rivers no longer dredged... two of the main reasons for flooding in so many towns and villages.

Once agin we see people paying millions in council tax and getting very little in return.

- David Kendall

There's gold not 6 miles from Dollar, head eastwards.

- harry, Fife

It's winter, there are gales and rain...hardly newsworthy!
- Tony, Essex, 19/11/2009 18:54

Also, large numbers of them think the problem in Cockermouth is that new houses have been built on a flood plain. Or plane.

Thanks for those Dick. Got me bedtime reading sorted. Then again maybe not as I might get so incensed I won't be able to sleep and I need to be up early tomorrow for my 8 mile, 2 hour commute!

It beggars belief that some morons actually have the audicity to publicly air their thoughts......wonder if they were queuing for the Jeremy Kyle show when their nuggets of wisdom sprung to mind ? :evil:

Mark

Building on flood plains in not a good idea of course Dick, everybody is aware of that, though it doesn't stop it happening.
Our local geology is much the same as Cumbria, and with the same problems. Dredging a river won't necessarily solve the problem, unblocking drains only helps if the volume of water is below that which the drains can handle.
Our last flood took out two bridges, due to debris backed up behind them, and third was damaged due to partial wash out of the piers. Much of the debris was trees etc torn out by the speed of the water, one of the streets lost its pavements, kerbs and carriageway right down to the bedrock.
It's ironic that if the two bridges hadn't failed the dam would have slowed the speed of the water, which would have prevented the road being destroyed. The water level would have course risen behind those dams, causing damage from immersion, but far less structural damage.
Another irony is that more soil on the hills would have increased the 'field capacity,' the ability to retain water, but that then increases the risk of slippage!

Roy.

The vast majority of people have never experienced floods Woody, as shown by that stupid comment that Dick showed about it's 'only rain'!

Roy.

Back