A quickie on festool guide rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlb40

Established Member
Reaction score
2 weeks today i can get my TS55 :D

So in readiness i want to make a case for the rails. After searching google all i get are the lengths. So just wondering what the width of the rails are?

TIA :)

Thank you Graham. I have found a couple of pieces of 9mm ply that will make their way to my car later :-"

If you're not travelling with them then hanging from a nail in the wall is a convenient way of storing them, they have a hole in the end for this purpose.
I have the overpriced storage bag which is no doubt worthwhile if you're throwing them in the back of a van, but at home is more trouble than it's worth.

pcb1962":3sdsez82 said:
If you're not travelling with them then hanging from a nail in the wall is a convenient way of storing them, they have a hole in the end for this purpose.
I have the overpriced storage bag which is no doubt worthwhile if you're throwing them in the back of a van, but at home is more trouble than it's worth.
I would agree with that. The case is worthless in the workshop but depends where you use it.

carlb40":39tl67k7 said:
2 weeks today i can get my TS55 :D

So in readiness i want to make a case for the rails. After searching google all i get are the lengths. So just wondering what the width of the rails are?

TIA :)

What deal are you getting?

Saw + Two Rails and Joiners?

I am also considering

Clamps are a must, if you have the budget get the quick clamps so much nicer to use.

if you are cutting sheet goods get the 2.7m rail it is a pain joining rails and then taking them apart again

Thanks guys. They will be taken to and from various sites so will need something robust. I wont be buying the festool bag as it only has padding one side now.
Plus the job i am on at the moment requires cutting sheets length and width wise. So i will need 3 1400mm rails.
So i will make the case big enough for 3 rails. :)

As to the kit at the moment i am undecided between the 2 rail kit and the 2 rail/ angle guide accessory kit.

Due to working through agencies and the way the expenses work, i can only claim for a max of £500 in one item. So the 2 rail/ accessory kit puts me over that limit.

I might even pop to axi after work to pick up a rail in readiness. :)

I have recently bought a TS75, my first festool track saw so not familiar with their rails. Could anyone recommend any difference for the bigger saws when buyin guide rails (eg. 2.7m or 3m or just 2x 1.4m?)

fretnot":a0e8de4y said:
Clamps are a must, if you have the budget get the quick clamps so much nicer to use.

if you are cutting sheet goods get the 2.7m rail it is a pain joining rails and then taking them apart again
Ahh the clamps. Yes i think i might splash out on some quick clamps. The 2700 rail is a no go. I work out of a focus hatchback, so space is limited. :(

carlb40":2uqah96b said:
fretnot":2uqah96b said:

Ahh the clamps. Yes i think i might splash put on spme quick clamps. The 2700 rail is a no go. I work out of a focus hatchback, so space is limited.

.............. or if the budget has already been blown, the Makita clamps fit the Fessie rails just fine. Less than 1/3rd price of the Festool Quick Clamps.

I was disappointed by the angle fence and jigsaw adapters and sold mine
If you're making a box design it with slots/battens on one face so that you can lay two rails on it to join them together dead straight
Matt

I dithered about buying the rail bag for years (a bag that costs more than the rail = madness) but picked one up on special offer last year, and have to say I find it incredibly useful, not just for rails, but also levels, templates, clamps and guides; wouldn't want to be without it now.

Pete

RogerM":3bi5yt37 said:
carlb40":3bi5yt37 said:
fretnot":3bi5yt37 said:

Ahh the clamps. Yes i think i might splash put on spme quick clamps. The 2700 rail is a no go. I work out of a focus hatchback, so space is limited.

.............. or if the budget has already been blown, the Makita clamps fit the Fessie rails just fine. Less than 1/3rd price of the Festool Quick Clamps.

No budget blown yet Roger. I'm just waiting till the start of the new tax year. :) I'm torn between the rachet clamps and the quick action clamp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181349163537? ... 1436.l2649

Talking of which i notice there is a left / right lever version of them. Does it make much difference which one to use?

Well as i said earlier i popped to axi for a spare 1400mm rail. Got home and it's damaged, one corner is bent. :(

So will have to get it swapped tomorrow.

carlb40":1698pggb said:
I'm torn between the rachet clamps and the quick action clamp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181349163537? ... 1436.l2649

Talking of which i notice there is a left / right lever version of them. Does it make much difference which one to use?
Never used the quick action clamp but as I understand it they're just for clamping guiderails; the ratchet clamps can be used as a general purpose clamp, as well as fitting the guiderails. FWIW I also have a pair of the Axminster forged quick lever clamps - http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-fo ... ever-clamp - and they're not as good as the Festool ones; they are half the price, to be fair, but if you have there means then the genuine article is better, IMHO.

HTH Pete

Don't bother with the rail angle fence it's rubbish according to most people who've bought it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back