A quickie on festool guide rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
petermillard":mcvy5rzd said:
carlb40":mcvy5rzd said:
I'm torn between the rachet clamps and the quick action clamp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181349163537? ... 1436.l2649

Talking of which i notice there is a left / right lever version of them. Does it make much difference which one to use?
Never used the quick action clamp but as I understand it they're just for clamping guiderails; the ratchet clamps can be used as a general purpose clamp, as well as fitting the guiderails. FWIW I also have a pair of the Axminster forged quick lever clamps - http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-fo ... ever-clamp - and they're not as good as the Festool ones; they are half the price, to be fair, but if you have there means then the genuine article is better, IMHO.

HTH Pete
Ahh thank's Peter. I was considering the axi versions ;) As to the other clamps that is fine as i always have a pair of 300mm bessey uniklamps with me anyway, so any clamps will just be for the rails. :)

chippy1970":10ky6mzf said:
Don't bother with the rail angle fence it's rubbish according to most people who've bought it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I had noticed a lot don't like it, but then a few do. :? So i might just buy a systainer for all the other bits that come in that kit and get it all separately :)

carlb40":2pwvfyx9 said:
i always have a pair of 300mm bessey uniklamps with me anyway, so any clamps will just be for the rails. :)
How do you get on with those Carl ? I have several but find it quite awkward sometimes to get the clamp to slide up and down the rail.

Grahamshed":2gw4e7s8 said:
carlb40":2gw4e7s8 said:
i always have a pair of 300mm bessey uniklamps with me anyway, so any clamps will just be for the rails. :)
How do you get on with those Carl ? I have several but find it quite awkward sometimes to get the clamp to slide up and down the rail.
Same here, but mine are now a good 5 yrs old, but they seem better made than the 600mm ones i got about 18 months ago. I normally have problems when trying to hold stuff and then clamp it up. But when i use 2 hands they are normally ok. It always makes me laugh at work when someone uses them for the first time and have the same issue as you mention. I do find it takes a bit to get the handle in the right place to move the head up/ down the bar.

Carl
I have a track saw Mafel ,and have 2 rails for doors 1@7' 1@3' it saves a lot of time for me when I have a house full to hang also have clamps for each rail .I wish i had an 8'and a 4' for sheets as i have to join together some and thats a faf with these old rails.
I think you will find a track saw to be a big help and you will wonder how you ever managed without it ,I love mine and woulbnt be without one .

Cheers Bern :D

Rob_Mc":39nb8yby said:
The TS55 is on offer at powertool-supplies at the moment with various packages. Cheapest I've seen in a while so I have my eye on one.

http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/circular-saws/

TS55 by itself - £295
TS55 + 1 rail - £315
TS55 + 2 rails + connector + bag - £425
TS55 + 2 rails + connector + bag + 2 clamps - £444
Ahhh i spotted that last night. Plus the part about stock expected in april. But no actual date supplied.

Ffx are doing the same deal. Again no stock. So going to see if axi will price match as i have found a 2 rail deal cheaper that is in stock.
Looking forward to 4.30 pm friday. :D

Berncarpenter":20bp70ci said:
Carl
I have a track saw Mafel ,and have 2 rails for doors 1@7' 1@3' it saves a lot of time for me when I have a house full to hang also have clamps for each rail .I wish i had an 8'and a 4' for sheets as i have to join together some and thats a faf with these old rails.
I think you will find a track saw to be a big help and you will wonder how you ever managed without it ,I love mine and woulbnt be without one .

Cheers Bern
I noticed your mafel before and after research discounted it as there are a few things i prefer on the festool over it.
As i have mentioned the job im currently on requires a lot of precise cuts on the osb. Which we still have another 5 pallets to get through yet.

carlb40":3u3616tk said:
Berncarpenter":3u3616tk said:
Carl

Cheers Bern
I noticed your mafel before and after research discounted it as there are a few things i prefer on the festool over it.
As i have mentioned the job im currently on requires a lot of precise cuts on the osb. Which we still have another 5 pallets to get through yet.

Not pushing the Mayfel on you Carl ,the festal stuff is good too. With all those sheets to cut ,i would defiantly go for an 8' and a 5' rail for them with clamps for each .If you also have alot of doors to hang A dedicated set makes a big difference to the time spent .Having just to short rails will drive bonkers especially with doors.

Cheers Bern.

An 8ft well 2.7mtrs for festool is out of the question. Due to working out of a focus hatchback 6ft is about a usable length without bending items. Not sure i want to be bending a £200 rail :shock:

So 3 1400mm rails is what i will be using for now. 2 joined for rips and 1 already purchased for cross cuts.
A ply storage / transport box has already been knocked up. :D
Just waiting on the foam for the lining to turn up now.

As to doors i think there about 80 doors on this job custom made with frames to suit. Hopefully the bottoms wont need to be touched.

carlb40":8gobrp1g said:
Thanks guys. They will be taken to and from various sites so will need something robust. I wont be buying the festool bag as it only has padding one side now.
Plus the job i am on at the moment requires cutting sheets length and width wise. So i will need 3 1400mm rails.
So i will make the case big enough for 3 rails. :)

As to the kit at the moment i am undecided between the 2 rail kit and the 2 rail/ angle guide accessory kit.

Due to working through agencies and the way the expenses work, i can only claim for a max of £500 in one item. So the 2 rail/ accessory kit puts me over that limit.

I might even pop to axi after work to pick up a rail in readiness. :)

Carl, if by rail/angle guide you mean this

Image.aspx

then save your money as it really is pants. There is no way of securely fixing it at 90 degrees and the slightest shift of the actual guide rail will knock it out of true. Even Festool can cock things up !

I have clamps. I have never used them. I have never thought 'Gosh, I wish I'd used them'. The rubber on the underside of the tracks is all that you need to hold the track down.

I agree with the comments re the extra long guide rail but the few times I actually join my two 1400mm together I find that getting a long straight edge alongside as you tighten the screws up is all that you need. If I had unseen wealth then I would, of course, buy the long guide rail!!

I admire and respect your wish to keep the tracks pristine. I used to be the same but after a couple of years, a few dings plus accidentally running the Festool blade over one of them, i find that they are perfectly happy being uncovered !

You won't regret the decision to buy one.

Yes Roger that is the one i mean.

I mentioned earlier about leaving the kit and just getting the other parts inc a sys 1. However after pricing it up it didn't make sense not to buy the whole kit as is. The sys 1, cable deflector, anti back kick thingy alone come close to £70, the whole kit is £99 at toolsave.

Any unused bits could always be sold on. ;)

And LOL at the pristine rail comment. Actually you might be talking to the wrong person about stuff like that. :mrgreen: About 2yrs ago i was doing a ward refurb at Stafford general and i decided to replace my aging 4ft stabila. So i purchased a 6ft/ 4ft super robust spirit level and a 2ft robust level. The first 2 are kept in padded bags and all 3 are still as new as the day i got them. :lol:

Besides the ply case is more to stop the rails getting bent in my car as there is not really an easy way to store/ carry anything much over 4ft easily.

Latest posts

Back