a packet of paracetamol and a box of lemsip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 47, yet Sainsbury's refused to allow me to purchase these 2 items together. Amazing.
I said "take one back then and I'll just go back and buy it separately", I was informed that I wouldn't be allowed to do that as I was now recognised by the security guard and be removed from the store if I tried it.

Good job there was a chemist next door, so off I went, upon trying to buy lemsip they asked what I was using the Lemsip for. Feeling slightly indignant, I politely told them I was addicted to blowing it up my bottom, they also refused to sell me it.

Good grief, talk about a nanny state and a sense of humour failure.

Quite honestly, if you are 47 and actually used the 'blowing it up your bottom' line, then you deserve not to be sold to in a chemists.
On the offchance that you are unaware, there is a legal limit to how much paracetamol can be purchased at one time (although I am not sure of the exact amount, but it does differ between a pharmacy and somewhere that isnt a pharmacy) and as Lemsip also contains paracetamol (approx 1 tablet per dose), then purchasing paracetamol tablets and lemsip may exceed this limit.
As for the nanny state, the introduction of paracetamol selling laws has reduced the incidence of spur-of-the-moment suicides from paracetamol (a particularly painful way to go as your liver is slowly destroyed over a couple of days) has reduced.
It takes a surprisingly small amount of paracetamol to damage your liver, and anything that reduces suicides can only be a good thing.

Adam

The safe limit for paracetamol is 8 tablets a day i.e. 2 tabs 4x per day.
More than that can result in liver damage.
The Pharmacists were only doing their job and acting responsibly for your safety.

A smile will get you along way bob, I went to tesco to buy a range of cold things for my partner when she was under the weather. Wasn't really sure what to buy so got a load of diff stuff. The checkout lady told me I couldn't buy them all together and I explained what I was doing and she said not a problem we'll just put them through as two separate transactions for you. Do you have a suicidal look in your eyes, this might be a factor?

Kalimna":1ud5snoc said:
Quite honestly, if you are 47 and actually used the 'blowing it up your bottom' line, then you deserve not to be sold to in a chemists.

Adam

Really, no wonder I struggle with life.

I rang the prescription hotline at my doctors surgery ordering Gaviscon which I had on repeat prescription, I picked my order up from the pharmacy only to discover the surgery had prescribed 200 paracetamol instead of 500 ml of Gaviscon.

Because I had left the pharmacy before I opened the bag they would not take the paracetamol back in exchange for my Gaviscon, £7 something wasted on something I didn't order and didn't want, fortunately the pharmacist was very understanding and gave me a bottle of Gaviscon free.

Good thing I'm not suicidal!!!!

Oh by the way, I don't have paracetamol on repeat.

Stew

doctor Bob":1ggob1mu said:
I'm 47, yet Sainsbury's refused to allow me to purchase these 2 items together. Amazing.
I said "take one back then and I'll just go back and buy it separately", I was informed that I wouldn't be allowed to do that as I was now recognised by the security guard and be removed from the store if I tried it.

Good job there was a chemist next door, so off I went, upon trying to buy lemsip they asked what I was using the Lemsip for. Feeling slightly indignant, I politely told them I was addicted to blowing it up my bottom, they also refused to sell me it.

Good grief, talk about a nanny state and a sense of humour failure.

And you, a Doctor - Shame on you :lol:

doctor Bob":39v4t6x9 said:
Chems":39v4t6x9 said:
Do you have a suicidal look in your eyes

Yes usually after reading post replies. :lol: :lol: (there they are)

lol, at least its not a murderous look, with all that rowing you've been doing I don't fancy been on the receiving end.

Earlier last year i tried purchasing six teaspoons at the self service in my local Tesco,it would not accept my transaction without proving i was 18.I had to get an Assistant to authorise before proceeding,i've been told i'm good for 53 but she still asked!

My wife works in a supermarket where they sell said items and people like you come in and give her a hard time, its NOT HER fault, she is only doing what she has told to do, lighten up and take a paracetamol or 2.. :lol:

mancsteve1":3lh3arws said:
Earlier last year i tried purchasing six teaspoons at the self service in my local Tesco,it would not accept my transaction without proving i was 18.I had to get an Assistant to authorise before proceeding,i've been told i'm good for 53 but she still asked!

How can you commit suicide with 6 teaspoons?

tekno.mage":1cvd9n13 said:
mancsteve1":1cvd9n13 said:

By swallowing them all at once? :shock:

Anyway - enough of this!

Don't bother with Lemsip. Buy a bag of lemons, a jar of honey and a bottle of rum. Cut one lemon in half, squeeze the juice of both halves into a mug, add a large teaspoon of honey, then three-quarters fill the mug with boiling water. Top up with rum to taste, stir, and injest. Repeat as necessary. It won't cure colds or flu, but you'll forget the symptoms for a bit. Warning - do not operate woodworking machinery after consuming too many.

They are not for me, I'm fit as a fiddle, wife and son are both ill.
I just take vit c, cod liver oil and eat well.

6 teaspoons in one go.... are you some kind of nutter :lol:

tekno.mage":3cf0krx5 said:
mancsteve1":3cf0krx5 said:

Place 3.5 paracetamol on each and injest hence restrictions on purchases. Simple deadly painful and untreatable I'm told.

Chems":3f43t827 said:
doctor Bob":3f43t827 said:
Chems":3f43t827 said:
Do you have a suicidal look in your eyes

Yes usually after reading post replies. :lol: :lol: (there they are)

lol, at least its not a murderous look, with all that rowing you've been doing I don't fancy been on the receiving end.

Nah...no need to worry...he hasn't even rowed out of the marina yet :D

Hi, bob

A few years ago a girl died after taking paracetamol and several cold remedies all containing paracetamol, accidental overdose has happened that's why they didn't want you buying both.

And as a doctor I would have thought you would have known better :wink: :D

Pete

Latest posts

Back