A moveable workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwood

Reaction score
Don't know about you lot but I enjoy the design part of a project most of all. My ex would doubtless put this down to an absence of any need for committment but I really just like the freedom and the buzz you get from working out how to do something all by yourself. Or with a few friends!

So in that spirit I've spent the last few weeks pondering over a design for my workshop.

Apart from all the usual things I'd like it to be easily portable. This is important because I don't own this house and may have to move at some point. Seems a sensible idea anyways given the amount of money people invest in workshops.

So thoughts so far:

Not every component needs to moveable. Just the most valuable parts.
So foundations will probably be three rows of British Standard Paving Slabs and can be left behind.

Walls need to be of panels that can be lifted by two people into a van.
That must imply a maximum size but I'm not sure what.

Related to panel size is the issue of waste materials. And siding is very expensive. So far I'm thinking vertical siding will be more waste efficient than horizontal.

Vertical siding also avoids the alignment issues of horizontal siding on panels and maybe makes it easier to weatherproof the seams. I think board and batten has great potential here.

Haven't given much thought yet to roofs...

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 563#127563

Have a read on my thread. I've designed my workshop exactly on that basis. Its designed to be "movable" albeit would take at least a couple of people a weekend or two to dismantle (based on assembly times). A lot of the information is on the latter pages...

Adam

Back