A gaggle of toys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brubaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a group pic of the toys that will be donated next week for inner city kids along with the previously posted motorcycle rocker, trucks, etc.
In the forefront are 3 waddling ducks. The original design by David Wakefield is a favorite among North American woodworkers. However, I like to fool around a bite with the original design. Two of the ducks have seperate wings of contrasting wood from that of the body. The center duck also has a seperate head which "quacks" as it waddles.
Good fun. Thanks for looking.

Lee

2008Toys.jpg
[/img]

They look great. I'm thinking of making a couple of toys in the future, when there's no need for me to make anything. I hope mine will be as good as those are!

Thanks kindly for your favorable comments. It is much appreciated. However, toy making/donating is a two way street. It keeps my scrap bin under control, I get to excersize a little imagination, I enjoy making them & the needy kids get a toy without a price put on their smiles.
For those who think about trying their hands at toys, I would suggest that animated toys hold youngsters attention. Never mind the educational toys. Kids need a time to be kids without some adult insisting that they start "learning" when they are just able to manage talking & walking.
Select a good book by a toy making author. Animated toys by David Wakefield if available in England is one. Keep in mind that a person that is a toymaker will produce a toy in a minimal amount of time or he will not be able to make a living. Hence not a lot of detail but never the less a good basic design.
A case in point are the three ducks in the foreground of the pic.
Wakefields design incorporates the wings within the block consisting of the body. My first modification was to use separate wings of contrasting color(the two end ducks). The next modification in addition to the wings is a separate head. The result being that the duck "quacks" as it waddles.
You are not bound to someone else's design & that is where the toy can become an interesting project.

Lee

Latest posts

Back