A few pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted any pictures of my work before, a bit afraid you folks who are much more experienced than me will think it's rubbish! But oh well. The first three pens are made from oak from my own little wood and then there's a yew and a spalted beech.

Mod edit:- URL link edited

Nothing Wrong with Those Peggy that's a good collection of pens something to be proud of not afraid to show us. like you I was very wary to post iv not put a lot on myself since my operations on my hand but I got a few items in the bag ready just started turning again this weekend
Take care and happy turning
Regards
Bill

Thank you Brian!

Bill, I look forward to seeing your next pictures. I hope your hand is ok now. And thank you for saying my pens are good!

Peggy

Thank you so much Woody, it's only because of all the help you gave me that I managed to make any pens at all!

Peggy

Nice pens Peggy I would be proud to have made them and would be also proud to own & use one
keep the good work up
Tom

Thank you Woody! And Thank you Tom, I'm glad I posted the picture now, I had a horrible feeling everyone was going to tell me what was wrong with them, not praise them. I feel a bit more confident now so thank you all!

They're great, Peggy, I especially like the spalted one and the middle one with the little pin knots. Have you really got your own wood? What sort of trees are in it ( apart from oak)? did you use branch wood for the pens?

I know what you mean about the wood in the slimline kits ending up so thin. I had a lot of problems until I realised that

a) The supposedly 7mm drill bit was oversize and made the wood even thinner,
b) the lathe wasn't running true, so one side of the pen was thinner than the other.

Once I got those sorted out things improved a lot.

Thank you Heather. My mum planted all the trees over twenty years ago, she'd be amazed if she could see it now (hopefully she can!) because it's an actual wood that you can walk through. It has ash, oak, sycamore, hawthorn, hazel, willow, sweet chestnut and beech. Yes I made the oak pens from branch wood. The oak is so hard it doesn't break so easily. I'm glad you got your pen problems sorted out. I think I just won't bother with slimline pens anymore!

Back