A decent fence for table saws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulymarshall

Reaction score
Does any body know anywhere in the UK that I could get hold of a decent fence for my table saw????? I'm on my third saw now, started off with a B&Q special, then a second hand Clarke, and have now splashed a bit of cash on a record TSPP250. The fence on my Record looks decent enough, but it is woeful, plastic runners, rubbish. I don't mind spending a bit of money, but I just cant find any that I can get hold of in the UK. On Amazon they have Biesemeyers, Accufence, Xactafence etc, which all look superb, but only available in the USA. Any shops, websites etc will be greatly appreciated.

There's somewhere in the UK where you can get the Biesemeyers or Incra fences. Can't find the link now though :(
Whether you could fit them to your saw I've no idea though.

I'd be interested to see that. Never come across anyone selling a Bessy fence over here. The incra is silly money.

Have an Incra router fence purchased used off fleabay, much like the one Motown martin has, very good - except for the inches :x

I'm very happy with my Accusquare fence, sold in the US by mulecab, but I bought mine from a small company in the UK that had started importing them, sorry, can't for the life of me remember who they are, I'll have to try and dig out the paperwork.

Dennis

Cheers chaps. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to get hold of a few tools at US prices. I found a very, very good example of a home made one, but I'm not so sure my metal work skills are up to the job. I'll keep on searching.

Jorden":3tdd7i7o said:
I'm very happy with my Accusquare fence, sold in the US by mulecab, but I bought mine from a small company in the UK that had started importing them, sorry, can't for the life of me remember who they are, I'll have to try and dig out the paperwork.

It was Mulecab UK. (.co.uk). But the guy in charge had health issues and they stopped trading.

Roger Phebey might be able to help at Wood Workers Workshop

Rutlands used to sell a besemeyer look-a-like fence and rails, it was about £300, not sure if they still sell it though.

Another example of our limited choice of woodworking tool accessories :evil:

Ironballs":2t8dg978 said:
Have an Incra router fence purchased used off fleabay, much like the one Motown martin has, very good - except for the inches :x

I empathise IB, but there's only twelve to every foot to worry about. Try to tackle both.

Whilst I'm sure it's not the case, only if you can't divide by 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32, should you be restricted to metric.

There's advantages either way. I learned metric when woodwork magazines insisted on ditching imperial, but didn't forget Imperial. I use a rule most when I am rough milling or making a 'rod'. Most subsequent dimensions are arrived at by comparison, through a project.

Cheers and here's to a metric Christmas.
:D
John

Me too Benchy, Metric came in when I was at infants school so was brought up with it and as it's based on base 10 is easy to pick up anyway.

The old man was an engineer (and clock/watchmaker in his spare time) so he worked and therefore taught me imperial right down to hundreths of thou's when I did stuff with him so have no prob there.

I can understand someone struggling learning imperial after metric but not the other way round - ie whats £3.46 + £1.60 = easy calc in base 10. However whats £3, 14 shillings and sixpence + £1, 5shillings 7pence? Or 0.03mm + 1.704mm V 11/32" + 21/64"?

And no, I'm not working it out either :D

What you say about ease Peter is indisputable, but the problem with base ten is it not a 'natural' system. Even those raised with base ten figuring are perforce using the more 'natural' imperial system on a regular basis. I'd love to see base ten users cut a cake into four tenths. Most people would find it much easier to divide something into quarters rather than fiths.
The reason for the base ten, believe it or no, was political. After the French revolution the powers that be decided on a complete break with the past, so amongst other things the 'natural' system was junked. They even forced through a ten day week. It didn't survive too long I might add. The peasants probably blockaded the ports! :lol:

Roy.

Y'know Roy,

I seem to recall that the metric system was based on the distance between two points on a longitudinal line, but the French got the distance wrong in the first place. Thus it's all based on error. The French also wanted the Greenwich Meridian to go through Paris, on the grounds that William conquered England, so they had more right! Fair makes you weep dunnit?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you call a unit. Things are as long as they are, and as long as they are as long as one another, they will be long enough for one another, and square enough too! I think that's about right.
:lol:

Now before I get accused of thread-jacking, I'm gonna hush! :lol:

John :)

Personally I'd prefer to stick with one unit system, and I've decided that it should be metric as I find it generally easier.
I could combine imperial and metric but then there's more chance of errors...
The argument about cutting cake is a bit irrelevant as that's an angular division rather than linear.

cambournepete":11cgw2j1 said:
Personally I'd prefer to stick with one unit system, and I've decided that it should be metric as I find it generally easier.
I could combine imperial and metric but then there's more chance of errors...
The argument about cutting cake is a bit irrelevant as that's an angular division rather than linear.

I don't follow Pete.
I can cut a cake into quarters
I can cut a piece of 50mm x 25mm into quarters. (Not allowing for the sawcuts)

That's division to me. Angular or linear makes no difference. It's only the shape of the pieces that will differ, and that depends on the shape of the cake!

Maybe my old grey-cells operate on a simplistic level.
Having said that, my grand-daughter was able to teach me something about factoring down numbers to check your mathematical solutions, and she is only 10!

:lol:

John

To get slightly back on topic !

I bought a fence from Axminster some half a dozen years back; memory was that it was sold as a bandsaw fence. I see they don't do it now which is just as well as I was about to give it a slagging for the failure to design the clamp such that it could *not* be adjusted to take up wear - it now has to have a bit of paper in it to get a decent fix.

OW

That is the major fault with my Startrite 351. The fence is so tatty it's almost an afterthought.

As I don't use the bandsaw for much in the way of jointing, I get by, but that fence is still dismal in design!

John :)

OK I'm going OT, but I just noticed that I had missed out a slightly critical 'not' in a recent post.

What's curious is that the system says that my edit was done at 13.15, whereas all my clocks here say 12.15 - except the one that is running fast and has just chimed 12.30!

Why ?

OW

Back