A British Infill Plane made in Italy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
We must to admit, British style Infill planes are really beauties, solid and strong performers.
So, my friend Vittorio and I have decided of joining our passion for planes and having a try to build one.
Unfortunately, we never have had an occasion for a meeting but, even if we live in North (Vittorio) and South (I) of Italy,
we carried out the job staying in touch by mail and postage for plane parts exchange.
Vittorio did the job on metallic parts, I on wooden infills, assembling and tuning up the plane.
Apart a bench drill for accurate boring and a bandsaw for rough shaping the wooden stocks, all parts are handmade.
Our inspiration was the Norris A1 jointer. The plane is 20 1/2" long, with a 2 1/2" parallel blade, bedded at 47,5°. It weights 4,75 Kg.

27ynzvq.jpg

os5yc5.jpg

28ku0xe.jpg

16m4xh5.jpg

sgkbom.jpg

The blade is slightly cambered in order to achieve a rapid flattening of wooden pieces.
We do not pubblish the WIP pics because they are object of an article that is being published on the Italian magazine Legnolab this month.
However, we enjoyed to make a short video about this plane and its first shavings (sorry in Italian, but with subtitles in English)
https://youtu.be/BSYikmEp8lo

Ciao
Vittorio e Giuliano

Truly stunning, you and your friend have every reason to be very proud of this very fine example.

A quality piece of collaborative work. Very worthy of being published for the world to see.

I'm constantly amazed with some of the stuff the members build.
Fairplay that's a beauty =D> =D>

Superb collaboration. You must both be proud (and nice video by the way). =D>

I can see a little Lambo and a touch Ferrari there! :D

.... perhaps a little Art Deco in the lower angular section of the front knob .. I like that particularly.

Well done Vittorio and Giuliano!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great work, you should both be very proud of yourselves. Hopefully you'll build a second so that you can both have one!

=D>

The magazine you mentioned, Legnolab, looks very interesting. It looks (to a non Italian speaker so I may be wrong) to be more design orientated, rather than just endless articles about building a router table or setting up a shoulder plane. I wish there was something similar in English.

Thank you all for your kind comments.
I'd built some wooden plane, but never an infill (although I did only part of the job), so I am particulary happy because now I can say of better knowing them.
The major challenge for me was to exactly align the wooden seat to the metal one, but by using hand planes for, the task wasn't too hard.

custard":1wrd0l0p said:
Hopefully you'll build a second so that you can both have one!

Vittorio kindly has given me the plane. I'll have always a big gratitude for him.

The magazine you mentioned, Legnolab, looks very interesting. It looks (to a non Italian speaker so I may be wrong) to be more design orientated, rather than just endless articles about building a router table or setting up a shoulder plane. I wish there was something similar in English.
True! The arguments treat about other aspects of woodworking too, included design, sculpturing and particular uses of the wood.

Ciao
Giuliano :D

Beautiful work.

It's sad that we will never see another collaboration between Richard and Jimi, so it's good to see another pair of virtual friends working together to build a plane like this one.

Nice work - I now truly understand the hardship and skill levels required to make something like this. My congratulations to you, Sirs for an outstanding, impressive job
Regards Mark

Well done chaps, looks like its not just food and cars that are good in Italy.

Pete

And the architecture, and the wine, and the roads....

AndyT":46rk9o5r said:
Beautiful work.

It's sad that we will never see another collaboration between Richard and Jimi, so it's good to see another pair of virtual friends working together to build a plane like this one.

matthewwh":46rk9o5r said:
Beautiful job!

Some of the best projects (and friendships) come as a result of collaborations.

True! To share the same passion is great but even more to make something together.
A couple of years ago Richard sent me some PMs and so I could exchange some thoughts with him (although in my modest English). A true gentleman!

gasman":46rk9o5r said:
Nice work - I now truly understand the hardship and skill levels required to make something like this. My congratulations to you, Sirs for an outstanding, impressive job
Regards Mark

Thank you, but believe me, passion makes miracles!
Racers":46rk9o5r said:
Well done chaps, looks like its not just food and cars that are good in Italy.

Pete

And the architecture, and the wine, and the roads....
:D

Ciao
Giuliano

Excellent work - a real pleasure to see.

Please can you tell us what thread sizes are used in the adjuster?

rxh":1uztcl3x said:
Excellent work - a real pleasure to see.

Please can you tell us what thread sizes are used in the adjuster?

jido55.jpg

Thank you.
The differential screw is formed by assembling two metric elements. The first (the bigger) has a M8 x 1,25 thread, the second one M5x0,8.
Hope this helps

Giuliano

Thanks. I have only made single thread adjusters up to now.

Very interesting - I must try a twin thread adjuster - are they both RH thread or opposite threads? On my lathe I think I will struggle to make those 2 threads absolutely concentric but worth a try. I salute you sirs!
Mark

gasman":2o8gjde6 said:
Very interesting - I must try a twin thread adjuster - are they both RH thread or opposite threads? On my lathe I think I will struggle to make those 2 threads absolutely concentric but worth a try. I salute you sirs!
Mark

The threads are both RH, so the two elements of the adjuster move in opposite directions, but one is faster than the other and the resultant movement is minimal; nearer are the pitches, slower is the forward movement.
Vittorio, who I asked about your question, is certain you will make easily the two threads concentric, even because the M5 bore is only 30 mm long.

Ciao
Giuliano :D

Back