A bit of inspiration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
.. A long long time ago it seems, when Chas first started doing his 'joined' work, I tried a bit to see if I could. I could - sort of.

However, every time I tried to sell something with this top on, the customer preferred it without it.

So its been sitting around the workshop, waiting for the right thing to come along. There is a new gallery opening locally next week and they want to feature some of 'me turnins'. I don't have too much around as I've been latheless for seven months and another gallery took most of my stock earlier this week. I am madly bashing it out at the moment.

The top is walnut and pear and some new pear came in this week, so on the lathe it went. Anyway, I thought this would make a reasonably impressive centre piece to the display.

Guess what, I like the damn bowl better without the top but if they want it, they have it WITH - so there.

Oh, and I know the finial is crooked, its just restin' see. Hopefully, I will remember to stick it on before it goes to the gallery! :?

Attachments

• 100_3400.jpg
    100_3400.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 545
Jonzjob":khkwga1v said:
I prefere it with the lid on 8) And it's not crooked, it's ART!

An excuse that gets used quite a lot round here :D

One of our friends was in yesterday whilst I was in the garden, sipping the red nectar and polishing the bowl off in the sunshine. He took one look and said "what's it for?'

If I had a euro...................

The pear is beautiful once its got a finish on it but its been a right PITA to get it there. Its the same piece I did the platter from and really, its been left out too long and is 'on the turn' so to speak. I am definitely going to have to call some of it 'rustic'

Gordon ,good to have you back .My thoughts on the piece are that visually it looks to be kind of chunky to me anyway. The lid in my view would look better if the finial was either stubby or in its present size more delicate .
I would be inclined to to make it slimmer , a Cindy Drozda ? type finial , Just my opinion for what it's worth.
The finish you achieved is brillient it really sets off the wood ,I like the piece but with a petiet finial :) :)

boysie39":y440uu49 said:
Gordon ,good to have you back .My thoughts on the piece are that visually it looks to be kind of chunky to me anyway. The lid in my view would look better if the finial was either stubby or in its present size more delicate .
I would be inclined to to make it slimmer , a Cindy Drozda ? type finial , Just my opinion for what it's worth.
The finish you achieved is brillient it really sets off the wood ,I like the piece but with a petiet finial :) :)

Ok Eugene,

I'll do another just for you today. The finial was really just to see the effect of the splicing woods together and I felt that going to small wouldn't show it very well.

It was made originally for my biscuit barrel - below. I seem to recall a discussion about the various finials on that too, led by that arch anti-finial person down south east of here

Attachments

• 100_2141.jpg
    100_2141.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 474
"I am definitely going to have to call some of it 'rustic'"

Hammerite should help, that stops rust :mrgreen: No, don't thank me, it's the least I can do and I always try to do the least I can 8) 8) 8)

Oy you, I ain't got an anti finial or an uncle one either come to think of it !! I just don't like them very much 8)

Back