A 'Bismarck' plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's certainly the way I do it so it makes sense to me. I tend to clean up the worst of the boards with the fore plane cos its a much rougher tool that the scrub (at least mine is). Though the two planes are pretty much interchangeable for me. By rougher I mean its blade is made out of car leaf springs, has a rough ground edge to it and the sole is in pretty rank condition not that it affects performance for this kind of use.
Cheers Mike

mr":1v8je3t1 said:
Chris Schwarz has some interesting and to my mind probably correct thoughts on that topic ...
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSchwarz/z_art/scrubPlanes/scrubPlanes1.asp

It sounded as he'd never used one for very long times :)

He was making a remark about the planes being japanned all over and still looking like they'd been dredged from the bottom of the sea. Well, using the scrub for more than a few planks is so sweatty that you have everything covered in sweat. A bit gross actually, but explains very well both the japanning and the rust.

I use a horned wooden scrub with 1 1/4" iron for starters and a 2" wide woodie with much shallower camber to remove the pattern from the scrub. For carpentry quality jobs I leave it that way, otherwise I'll go on with a #5 with a very slight camber.

I'd say a scrub would be used more for planing the sides of planks on carpentry jobs. If my father ever needed a bit narrower plank, he drew a line, wasted most of the excess off with an axe and then planed it smooth. That's how I usually do it myself, but if I can clamp the piece on the bench I might end up with the scrub. Any more than, say 3/4" would be a job for an axe in any case.

On finer woodworking or benchwork it would be more surface preparation than edging, it's a two minute job to clean up three feet of rough sawn timber.

In Finland the "tool dialect" leans much more to German carpentry, so most of the hand planes would be fitted with a horn. A coffin smoother would be a very rare bird around here and a jack for hogging off a surface just as scarce.

Pekka

Philly":14isl69t said:
G
Bismarck usually means a plane with a front horn, the Continental style.
here's an example....
scrub1.jpg

Hope this helps
Philly :D
I wonder why Phil has "Butt Polish" in the workshop.? :shock:

As the usual font of knowledge on these matters "is out of the building" here's some definitions from Salaman:

Bismarck (German Jack) British term for a plane with a front horn and a single iron set coarse for quick removal of waste (Categorized as a Roughing Plane)

Jack Plane (USA Foreplane) it is the first to be used for the comparatively rough work of preliminary preparation of the surface before truing up with the Trying Plane.

Scrub Plane is categorized as a Roughing Plane which are made from old, worn out, Jack or smoothing planes. (other names are Cow, Hunter, Scud and Scarfing). Stanley brought out 2 metal Roughing Planes the Scrub and Furring.

Trying Plane - in 1846 categorized as a plane 20-22", Long 24-26" and Jointer 28-30". After about 1870 the terms Long and Jointer generally dropped out of use (except in Scotland)

Badger Plane - jack or coffin shape with a skewed cutting iron exposed at the right-hand corner.

The above is a precis of the extensive entries in Salaman and I aint no typist!! :? But I hope it helps?

Rod

Latest posts

Back