UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one of the routers a few years back. It was awful. Don't know about the tables tho.

I have both a table and router. I'll give a little run down on them incaaeit helps but keep in mind I'm a novice.

Router - Seems pretty well built but heavy. Powerful motor. Plunge action was very stiff making it hard to plunge carefully as you'd have to put a good bit of pressure on then it would suddenly drop.
Quite loud compared to some others.
Accessories are ok. Fence alright with a handy circle adaptor.

All in all, ok for the money. I still use mine but would imo be best table mounted.

Just check the collet as mine wasn't great from the start & can't find a direct replacement..

Table - well worth the momey.
Pretty solid top with with clearance rings. Surface is a little grabby but easy sorted.
Legs and extension wings are pressed steel. Fence is very plastic and can be a little awkward to adjust.
If nothing else, it's worth it just for the finger boards and the nvr switch which you can reuse on a home built table later on.

Edit; i have the multi tool which i have used loads. And find to be very good for the money.

I see they have quick clamps - anyone know if these are ok? Seem like a very very good price, so thinking that they are made of cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":2v3vk3n7 said:
I see they have quick clamps - anyone know if these are ok? Seem like a very very good price, so thinking that they are made of cheese.

I've had some for years. They are OK for light clamping but several are now useless because the bit that clamps onto the bar is made of plastic and doesn't like a lot of pressure.

Picked up a few of the quick clamps, and yeah, the head face is plastic and a bit bendy. But at €5 each...

Also picked up the router table given the opinions on here about it. It doesn't look too bad for €45, but I really don't see the legs of it lasting long, they're very thin mild steel. I think I'll wind up building a proper table frame and using the tabletop in it. I'll be happier to get that router into a table, I just don't feel comfortable using it hand-held really.

I have quite a few Aldi & Lidl tools most of which I'm happy with, but the router and router table were absolutely awful. This was a few years ago so quality might have improved, but the plunge action on the router was very stiff and awkward to adjust and broke shortly afterwards.

The table was nowhere near flat so work would catch as it passed over it and mounting the router in it was very awkward and the fence was very fiddly. You'd be much better off making your own table and fence out of melamine chipboard which would produce a much flatter and smoother surface.

As for the clamps, they're ok if you don't need a lot of pressure and they do have a handy feature that the heads come off and can be flipped round so they can be used as spreaders.

Fergal

I have the Aldi Router and Table. Chuffin' useless. The plunge is so stiff that you have to turn the table over and wrestle with it to get the right height.

Penny":19twwam9 said:
I have the Aldi Router and Table. Chuffin' useless. The plunge is so stiff that you have to turn the table over and wrestle with it to get the right height.
I was going to remove the springs from mine for this reason but couldn't work out how to get them out.

Why do we all buy these cheap things :shock: all the ones I've got are'nt any good, :( but the workshop looks cool :? full of tools. #-o

Well I've just bought a load of their clamps. I was quite impressed with the build quality for a product that costs £2.50 for a 18" clamp. Off to build a rack for then all now. I did buy quite a few!

Back