8mm Collet for the Triton router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm looking for a suitable 8mm collet to fit the big Triton router. As far as I can tell Triton don't make one so I'm wondering if anyone has found a suitable part from someone else that works well.

TIA
cd

Is your router 1/2" ?

Don't know where you can get 8mm collet,but I have bought 8mm router bits that came with a 1/2" to 8mm reducing sleeve - would this be another way of doing what you want ?

Andrew

PowerTool":2ms8rnsx said:
Is your router 1/2" ?

Don't know where you can get 8mm collet,but I have bought 8mm router bits that came with a 1/2" to 8mm reducing sleeve - would this be another way of doing what you want ?

Thanks Andrew, it is 1/2" I could probably use a reducing sleeve but I was worried about them slipping I was hoping someone had a found a nice secure 8mm collet a bit like the 1/4" one that comes with it.
From pictures the 8mm trend loooks similar but I don't really want to buy it and find it doesn't fit.

cd

Triton definitely don't make an 8mm collet. I've been trying to get one myself, not only for the bigger machine, but also for the new 1400W MOF001, which uses a different style of collet from the big boy (Hitachi-style).

According to a contributor on another forum, the new-style (self-releasing) collet from the 1400W can be fitted to the bigger machine, but I'd assume that you have to fit the whole assembly. The advice I got for doing that was to remove the brushes, invert the router, spin the motor clockwise using an airline to drive the cooling fan, then - once it was spinning, push in the spindle lock to unseat the collet chuck assembly.

This all sounds a bit "iffy" to me. although I would like to fit the self-release collet instead of the Hitachi-style to the bigger router, as they definitely grip inserts better.

Any engineers out there who could comment on the method of removing the assembly as described above?

Ray.

I've been looking at the Trend catalogue and page 144 shows there collets. I think no. 1 is the nearest, I'm going to try my local supplier and see if I can get one to try I'll post results if and when.

cd

Back