70th birthday ideas PLEEEEZE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
My brother in law will be 70 later this year and I'd like to scroll him something a bit special but am short on ideas . . . . so . . . . I need your help :wink:

Have you cut something suitable for an active 70 year old that went down well?

Can you think of a suitable subject?

He loves his dog who is currently old and ill and I'm not sure she'll be around in September. He has a brilliant sense of humour and also loves rugby but his club crest is far too complicated and not suitable. I'd like something original if possible.

ANY help would be most appreciative and very welcome.

Barry

Hi Barry,
Steve Good does some American Football stuff that could be adapted , one design would look nice as a bit of inlay (I think)

John

Is the dog a particular breed? Maybe you could do a portrait of the dog. Or better yet, if you had a picture of him and the dog you could turn it into a portrait.
I'm not much use at converting pictures for portraits myself but I'm sure someone on here could help you, or point you in the right direction at least.

I have a few patterns of dogs heads,I have made a few out of 3mm ply and framed them,if you do decide to,I may have the breed of the dog.

Bryan

As his dog may not be around on his birthday I would suggest a portrait of her, sorry I can't help with the design, but I'm sure one of the better scrollers here will be able to help you out.

Baldhead

There are some great ideas there and I really appreciate your replies. Many thanks.

I'm not good with designing patterns either so I'll have a trawl through some of Steve's stuff to look for something suitable. He has a pretty good range and I'm sure to find something suitable or that needs a little alteration.

Many thanks again for all the great ideas and I'll let you know what I decide to have a go at.

Barry

Barry I have some of Sue Mey patterns of Dogs Heads,If you decide on that project and I have the breed you will be very welcome to a copy of the pattern'

Bryan

That's very kind of you Bryan. I'm pretty sure his dog is a brown Cavalier King Charles Spaniel . . . it looks pretty close anyway :wink:

Sue Mey does some great patterns and I feel the need to treat myself :lol:

Sorry Barry I do not have the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel,I can't remember if there is one on Sue's Site.If there is not you could ask Sue if it was possible to do one.I asked for a certain breed and she was able to help me out.

Bryan

I've had a good trawl around her site Bryan and have just bought 8 patterns!! Including a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel which looks exactly like my brother in law's dog. You'd think the plan had been made from a picture of her. I showed my wife the plan and she shouted "Millie, how brilliant to have found her". So I guess that's my Saturday accounted for.

Bryan, many thanks for reminding me of Sue Mey, she has some great stuff on her web site doesn't she? The prices are brilliant too at approximately $5 a pattern and I got 8 patterns for £25.54

Barry

Thanks Martin. That second link is brilliant although I think I'm gonna cut the Sue Mey one I've bought (the second one from that link with the green background) as it's 'Millie' to a tea.

Thanks for the head's up though - much appreciated.

Barry you are very welcome,I think that Sue gets the EYES perfect in all her patterns.Also if you look at the pattern from the back you can tell what it is.The sign of a true scrollsaw ARTIST.

Bryan

Back