45mm foam core insulated garage door for sound proofing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Currently have a steel roller door with no insulation. Not only is it cold, but it has zero sound proofing and I am becoming more conscious regarding the noise that must emanate from the garage when I have PT / extractor running. Was considering upgrading the current roller door to one with a 45mm foam insulation core and to see whether anyone on here has ever moved to an insulated door and if so did it improve the sound insulation?

Any insulation is going to give some level of sound reduction. I've used acoustic foam panels on my door which have helped. :)

I replaced my garage door with an insulated Hormann segmented door a couple of years ago, not only does it keep the garage warmer, It has a great seal and does reduce the sound.

RickN":1kuua55j said:
I replaced my garage door with an insulated Hormann segmented door a couple of years ago, not only does it keep the garage warmer, It has a great seal and does reduce the sound.
That is the one I have been looking at. Are you able to quantify the level of sound reduction? I know that is quite hard, but any guidance would be welcome. For example, if you run your PT and extractor is it still unsociablly loud when stood outside of the garage by the door?

flanajb":3l6xxi10 said:
RickN":3l6xxi10 said:
That is the one I have been looking at. Are you able to quantify the level of sound reduction? I know that is quite hard, but any guidance would be welcome. For example, if you run your PT and extractor is it still unsociablly loud when stood outside of the garage by the door?

I'd also be interested in this too. Perhaps you could set up your mobile phone recording a few meters away from garage door, leave a power tool on and open/close the door to compare the difference in noise?

I think that would be a good way to judge how much of a difference there is.

I think the key issue is to have a complete seal around the door. Our house backs onto a road with heavy traffic at rush hour peaks. With double glazed windows properly shut there is little intrusive noise inside. Open a crack - 2 - 4mm - and the noise is immediately annoying.

I am not sure whether the doors you propose will have a "double glazing" level of seal. As noted above you can download a simple app to measure decibels on your phone - provided phone is held in the same position it is easy to understand what level of noise reduction is likely with door fully closed, slightly ajar (not sealed) and open.

Standby, I'll look into trying to quantify the noise level some how... I'll have a nosey for that decibel app thingy.

I managed to get some readings, I used the Bosch iNvh app, and made two measurements at approximately 1.5 m away from the machine, which is an Aximinster 330 lunch box run without load. inside garage with machine off, inside garage with machine on, and same again outside with garage door closed. there is a noticeable difference in sound when stood outside with the machine running and the door shut as you would imagine, however the numbers are in the pictures.https://www.flickr.com/photos/147931383@N02/shares/1gE4mE
LWXRqG
MJna3N
MUtqzF
MJn91Y

Edit * God How fiddly is flickr... Edit ** I give up Grrrr , off to chew the keyboard....

I have a 20mm insulated Horman door on single garage (not my workshop). As the garage is in a block of garages away from the house I use a small generator for power as and when I need it. The generator is 82db which inside the garage is rather uncomfortable. If I move it outside and close the door with just the power lead running under the rubber floor seal I can listen to the radio and play with my motorbike.
The Horman door has a pretty effective rubber seal all the way around.

Untitled.png

Well, I'm assuming :

57dB with tool off
79dB with tool on, door open

67dB with tool on, door closed

According to the internet (http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html), 60dB is about as loud as a normal conversation.

The drop in loudness due to the door closing is about 10dB, so it makes it 10 times as quiet?

Thanks for doing this!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 62
A typical new build party wall / floor (between dwellings) would need to achieve ~45dB sound insulation. If that's of any help.

cantseeitfrommyhouse":1m815k0n said:
A typical new build party wall / floor (between dwellings) would need to achieve ~45dB sound insulation. If that's of any help.

I assume you mean it has to be able to drop the volume of whats on the other side by at least ~40dB?

According to this http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator ... cation.htm,

10 dB ≡ 10 times the power
20 dB ≡ 100 times the power

so 30dB is 1000!!
and 40dB is 10000!!

I assume I have this wrong as I wouldn't think a party wall could make things 1000's of times quieter?

Perhaps it's not power I should be looking at, but Amplitude? So looking here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

10 dB ≡ 3 .162 times the Amp
20 dB ≡ 10 times the Amp
30 dB ≡ 31 .62 times the Amp
40 dB ≡ 100 times the Amp

Still doesn't sound right though. Confused.

Thanks for making the picture visible transatlantic, I labelled the pics in order , but they didnt upload in sequence, better going off the time stamps , top right, first one is 11.48 am, inside garage machine off, second one 11.49 am inside garage machine on, 3rd, 11.50 outside garage machine off, and finally outside garage machine on.

Inside the garage was an ear splitting peak 107db, compared to outside garage which peaked at 75db.

Yes. Many thanks for taking the time to do this experiment. Seems like the insulated door is a good way to go.

Back