4 jaw chuck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi xc-mtbr

I have this one and have had no complaints with it.

Well tell a lie, but it's more to do with my lathe, the chuck (and the one you linked to) are designed for the longer register of the 3/4" 16 tpi threaded record lathers, but mine has a much shorter one, so hand to turn an adapter.

But as I said the chuck holds up well, the last piece I did was from a 12" x 12" x 4"-5" unbalance blank with 5mm chucking recess and I was not worried about it coming off. Also the jaws are compatable with the Nova chuck (which also includes the super nova and patriot I belive).

Mark.............

Rutlands sometimes seem to get a bad name, especially around customer service and likewise Dekota.

I would be tempted (indeed I was tempted! :)) to spend a little bit more on the versachuck which is 110 (+VAT) vs 92 (VAT?) and has the advantage over the Dekota that:
* you can use anyone's jaws so you're not limited on one range
* it is a scroll chuck so tightening is an easy one handed operation rather than fiddling around with two bars
* toolpost's customer service is very good

Hope this helps.

Miles

Just had to return the Dekota chuck to Rutlands, one screw would not budge I returned it only to get the very same one back in the same condition.
I must agree I was not to happy with cust services. Returned now and using a super nova it seems a better machined tool.

I recently bought the Versa Chuck from Tool Post - I had previously looked at a number of other chucks and I decided to go for this one based on the fact that I can put jaws on from most the makers.

I went in to tool post to talk to them about it and I was impressed with their support in buying the chuck - they didnt push me to get their chuck but asked what I wanted to do and recommended solutions.

I too would advise spending the extra for something like the Versa Chuck which will allow one handed operation as opposed to two, it's difficult to find a third hand at times, and the jaw options on the Dakota are very limited if you get adventurous with your turning.

Tony,

when you came that Sat and collected the lathe, i showed you my Patriot chuck (easily found with a google search..), plus i've also got one of these....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ke ... rod807388/

may not be to everyone's taste, but as i like working on smaller items it fits the bill quite nicely, and has the added advantage of coming complete with 4 sets of jaws...!!

Nick

thanks,

the patriot for a 140 ish was my other option as i had not seen the versa chuck, between these two then which would get your votes?

Obviously I'm a little biased as I bought the versa chuck nut I love being able to fit any jaws.:)

I'm with miles on this - I have two chucks, the versa and the axminster clubman - both are good but the versa is better.

Before we get too caried away the vera has three sets of carriers , it can take axminster jaws, sorby jaws, and nova jaws ( I think - i'm not sure of the third one) - which doers give a massive choice - however it is a bit of exageration to say that it takes any jaws, as there are those out there that wont fit.

incidentally if you are wondering why I need more than one chuck , I have standard jaws on the clubman, and button jaws on the versa so that i can reverse bowls etc without having to continually change jaw plates

I bought the versa chuck because of the flexibility to used different jaws from different makers, having bought it I then bought an extra set of the axminster mounting jaws so I can have a quicker switch between the two sets of jaws I wanted to use - I dont have the luxury of two chucks !

Maybe one day I will get a second chuck :)

I recently bought the dakota chuck on special offer and am disappointed in it. It is stiff to operate and the screws securing the back plate continuously come loose which is irritating. I also have a supernova 2 which was supplied with my lathe as part of the offer. The first chuck I bought was the sorby patriot and frankly it is miles ahead of the other 2. The mechanism is smooth and the jaws can be fitted in any order and do not have to be matched up with numbered plates. It is a bit pricey but it is superbly engineered and will last a lifetime. And it's British!!!

Ray

miles_hot":2esg58jb said:
I would be tempted (indeed I was tempted! :)) to spend a little bit more on the versachuck which is 110 (+VAT) vs 92 (VAT?) and has the advantage over the Dekota that:
* you can use anyone's jaws so you're not limited on one range
* it is a scroll chuck so tightening is an easy one handed operation rather than fiddling around with two bars
* toolpost's customer service is very good

I too was tempted into the same purchase and it has proved so Versa'tile that I wonder how I managed before!

Regards, Peter.

Back