4 4 time, house music and Mozart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets see Classical music which sends me screaming.....almost none except Wagner and the bloody "Rings".....utterly dull, utterly without any redeeming feature at all.....forgot to mention Opera and that you should go at least once to see what you think and feel about it. My wife cried for an hour after I took her to her first Opera.

Gill is right about dance music. I was about 30 when my wife dragged me off to the "Dance class" and after feeling a real pratt for a while eventually got it, enjoyed it did a few competitions and like to show off occasionally....especially in front of the kids./...got a two weddings coming up for both my daughter and later my son...have to get the right music arranged without them knowing if I can ( he he ) ....until their evening disco and the tribal music starts.

regards
Alan

beech1948":2dyt8omh said:
Lets see Classical music which sends me screaming.....almost none except Wagner and the bloody "Rings".....utterly dull, utterly without any redeeming feature at all............

regards
Alan

What? W..h..a..t????? Splutter. Music of the Gods!!! :D :lol:

Steve Maskery":3fhewmnu said:
Ah yes, 5/4 time. Very awkward. I've never seen the point of it myself. OK, Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" is a classic, but we studied Benjamin Britten at school and some of his stuff is weird. IIRC "Deo Gracias" is in 5/4 time.

S

"Diary of a Madman" by Ozzy, I think flits between 5/4 and 4/4 in the verse and 6/8 in the chorus :shock:
I remember the piece I had to play for my grade 5 Guildhall snare drum exam was in 5/4, complete b*gger to play. It was a case of ignore the bar lines and just play it straight through start to finish.

Steve Maskery":n4l6c5cd said:
Ah yes, 5/4 time. Very awkward. I've never seen the point of it myself.
S

Many are of the belief that it's done to 'challenge' the ear of the listener, in a way 'disturb their expectations'.
In the same way that dischord is as much a part of music as harmony... 'strange' time signatures have a similar-ish effect upon the listener.
Its a little like synchopated rhythm, it poses an auditory challenge to the 'logic' that the brain perceives to be the 'correct progression' as the musical piece unfolds.
Quite a clever bit of thinking by whoever came up with it first ! :D

Back