4 4 time, house music and Mozart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO mentioned the other day that the reason why house music was so popular with young people is the same why Mozart is popular with older people. Namely that the majority of music is written in 4 4 time.

Although I'm not a musician I thought that virtually all pop music* was in 4 4 time. Am I right?

Roger

*(excluding *rap of course but that's not music anyway and an abomination that should be eradicated from the face of the planet).

Essentially, yes.

Music publishers are notoriously reluctant to take on songs in 3/4 time, because they never sell. There is one famous exception to that, the music-hall song "Bicycle Made For Two". The writer had considerable difficulty getting it published, but then it did become a big hit in its day.

Now we're going to have a huge list of other popular songs that were written in 3/4 or 6/8 time, just to prove me wrong.

S

Annies Song
Mull of Kintyre.

Many C & W.

Modern music has quite a lot of computer content and 3/4 creates timing problems (something to do with even numbers? or is it bi numeral)

House music is all about repetition. That's what they dance to. The vocals, instruments, sounds, all are secondary. It's all about dancing. Or at least that's where it is rooted.

Ahh the days, dancing in a field for a few hours with flashing lights and then running for a few hours away from flashing lights......

;)

I have found during my lifetime that SOME classical enthusiasts can be quite intolerant of other peoples taste in music.

Myself I can enjoy both classical and music of the modern age which I think means I get more enjoyment and a greater satisfaction.

Ah yes, 5/4 time. Very awkward. I've never seen the point of it myself. OK, Dave Brubeck's "Take 5" is a classic, but we studied Benjamin Britten at school and some of his stuff is weird. IIRC "Deo Gracias" is in 5/4 time.

S

What can I say. Jazz fan so often 4 4 but often not. Classical music buff. I dislike most modern music because its so banal unless I have the urge to dance but then again ball room does'nt count does it.

regards
Alan

beech1948":z5rvyrba said:
..... Classical music buff. .....
regards
Alan

Out of curiosity are there any pieces of classical music that have you running for the off switch?

My pet hates are Hebrides Overture (if I here that once more this year I think I'll commit suicide), Bruch's Violin Concerto and L'Arlesienne. :lol:

If we are going to digress into Favs and Hates (OK the Favs bit is mine), my Fav award goes to:

Bedřich Smetana - Ma Vlast

OhmygodthankyouIdontbelieveitimsorryWolfgangandLudwigandwhowastheotherone....

S

wizer":6cvbpfk5 said:
Ahh the days, dancing in a field for a few hours with flashing lights and then running for a few hours away from flashing lights......

;)

PMSL been there done that a few times , the 80s were hard to beat for dance music 8) 8)

RogerS":327rj6zt said:
beech1948":327rj6zt said:
..... Classical music buff. .....
regards
Alan

Out of curiosity are there any pieces of classical music that have you running for the off switch?

My pet hates are Hebrides Overture (if I here that once more this year I think I'll commit suicide), Bruch's Violin Concerto and L'Arlesienne. :lol:

You do of course realise there are words to the 'He Brides' overture to make it more enjoyable 'Oh dear, f***** ar****' much too rude for a family forum. And also that Bizet's work is most often referred to a 'La Lesbian' :)

Classical Faves:

Philip Glass violin concerto, 2nd movement
Mozart ave verum corpus
Mozart Laudate Dominum from Solemn Vespers

Classical Hates:

Debussy Claire de Lune
Any Waltz, Blue Danube in particular
most Gershwin and Bernstein

Steve.

Try dancing a waltz properly, Steve - you might change your mind about the music ;) .

I used to loathe so many old songs until I began ballroom dancing and realised that some music is a form which can only be completed by rhythmic movement. I even found myself liking Dean Martin stuff, which came as a profound shock to this ex-punk rocker! Most dance music, be it ballroom, folk or whatever, is incomplete without the dance.

I'm not a great fan of most classical music and have a particular dislike of opera. There again, I haven't gone out of my way to understand it. The only exception I have found to this is classical music which pertains to ballet; what might appear to be rather trite when played on its own can be very beautiful when played for talented dancers.

Gill

Back