3 phase in new workshop - advise needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m moving workshop in the new year and plan on getting some new machinery.

It would look like it has 3 phase up to the meter. (3 x 415v 60A fuses)

my question is how viable is it to fit 3 phase sockets? What would be involved for an electrician?

The photos I got today are rubbish but should give a little indication of what is installed.
7188ED3E-7765-4465-BEBF-3B6D800AFA07.png
F044494F-A3EF-4B26-833A-F466A999A633.jpeg
84EEECDC-3CD3-4C72-B77F-4DEC6C1AB20E.jpeg

Your electricity supplier will install a new 3 phase meter for you and put you
on a 3 phase contract.
Then you will need a 3 phase distribution board to replace the CU you have
Then as many 3 phase sockets putting in as required

Ian

For an electrician this is no more difficult than fitting single phase sockets but make sure they are not a domestic installer.

All you need is a three phase board for the 400 volt sockets and from this you can take a supply for your 230 volt single phase sockets, it can be easier to use two boards, one three phase and then a single phase board with everything supplied from the same phase, this can be a safer approach but the major cost has already been provided which is the actual supply cable so just get an electrician in to fit the supply and then enjoy the freedom to buy big decent cast iron machines for less than many pay for asian tin cans. What you don't want are 230 volt sockets on different phases, two items plugged in and you have the fault potential for 400 volts between them.

Get a nice industrial distribution board fitted, just a really big consumer unit with 3 phase capability as well really.
The 3 phase connections have big mcb`s that cover (unsurprisingly ) 3 slots each which run to the great big red sockets directly.
Then the normal 240 sockets and lighting is run from single MCB`s as normal.

You will need a sparky used to installing it.

Ollie

I would suggest you get someone just to have a quick check that the service head phases are all live, have known them to be discon in the street.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will get a sparky in and see what’s what. At least now I will have some idea what they are suggesting!

I just had my new workshop all wired out with 3 Phase, best thing to do is just consult a spraky, my place has not been actively occupied for many years and just used as a store.

as a result my sparky found that only 2 of my 3 phases were actually live, we had to get that sorted via the utilities company via the landlord of the premises… we ended up needing the feed to the building replacing.

omce that was sorted it was a very easy and hassle free process by my own sparky who sorted a board, 4 feeds to my 3phase machines plus a couple of radial and lighting circuits, took him 4 days starting from scratch to finish

Back