.22 bicycle gun.


Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a normal 22 rimfire cartridge can be inserted and fired, it is a firearm. regardless of any holes drilled anywhere.
after the '97 fiasco, a pistol must have at least a 12" barrel length and an overall length of 24". making this illegal on several counts at the same time.

Possessing a firearm without a firearms license is an "absolute offence" meaning there are no excuses accepted by the courts. Last time I looked the maximum sentence was 5 years.

Get it to a firearms dealer ASAP. Do not pass GO do not collect 200!

Once lodged with the dealer, it has an historical value, and I suggest you get the dealer (or yourself) to contact either the Imperial War Museum or the Leeds Armoury in York to have it put into a permanent display.
Dont destroy it. Please?
has the barrel been plugged? can you see through it all the way? where does the hammer strike? is it dead on the end of the "barrel"?

I don't think it's a bicycle gun at all, there was a very similar design (along with the holes) sold as a starter pistol, it couldn't take a full .22 round, the chamber was short, which looking at this and where the hammer lands this may well be.

Please do not take it apart and chuck it in the bin.

Please get it to a local dealer, if you can't find a local deal look for a local gun club and give them a call to discuss first.
What the others said about lodging with a dealer and another please do not destroy .

The only thing I'd add to that is from my experience as I posted earlier when I rang the police to ask where I could take the gun to hand in I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to transport the gun anywhere and therefore could not take it to the nearest police station so perhaps you should be careful if taking to a dealer. What I would suggest is that you ring a local dealer first to get advice.

Perhaps the fact that we'd had the Raoul Moat manhunt incident locally only 6 months previously is what prompted the arrival of 2 armed cops on my doorstep at 11pm on a Sunday night. #-o
My first instinct is to destroy it. I have been reliably informed that it is of no real worth, but I will see if I can find a gun Smith in my area.
As a starter for ten, you could try calling Fultons of Bisley (google will give you their number). Hopefully they'll be able to advise on legality or tell you what to do next.
sihollies":3hl04o0d said:
Cheers, My first instinct is to destroy it. I have been reliably informed that it is of no real worth, but I will see if I can find a gun Smith in my area.
I'm gonna guess that you are not qualified or even authorised to dispose of a firearm in a legally correct manner, though. That would probably come bite you on the buttocks later on.

Here is what the Lancashire Police have to say about it:
"What do I do if I unexpectedly come into possession of firearm/shotgun?

There are number of reasons why someone may find themselves in possession of an unlicensed firearm or shotgun, through no fault of their own. A certificate holder has died and the widow or widower is left with the weapons for example, or after moving to a new address they are discovered in a loft. The first thing to consider is your safety. Do not handle the firearms as they could be loaded and in a dangerous condition.

Call the police and they will attend the address and make the firearms safe. You then have several options:
- You could ask the police to remove the firearms for destruction.
- If you are a certificate holder then you can request they are added to your own certificate. This would depend on the firearms not being reported lost or stolen and you have the capacity to store them and, in the case of a firearm certificate, the authority to possess that type of weapon, but you would need to satisfy the ‘good reason’.
- If you are not a certificate holder you could first request a permit allowing you access to the firearm and this would give you the time to get them to a registered firearms dealer for storage. You could apply for a certificate yourself to allow you to keep the guns.
- An alternative is to have the firearms deactivated meaning they would retain the original appearance but would be incapable of discharging a missile.

For further advice please contact the Firearms Licensing Department who will assist you to make the right decision".

Also - Phone a firearms dealer, first. Do NOT just rock up with a gun in a bag. Let them know you'd like to bring one in for their consideration and advice.
They may be able to put you in touch with a licenced auction house or something, either here or overseas, to which you might consign the weapon. It may well be worth something to someone.

oakmitre":3hl04o0d said:
Forgotten weapons have a video on a Marlin Bicycle rifle
I do enjoy Ian's output.
It kinda helps that I was first shown the channel because I apparently look just like him! :lol:
Yes you will need a section 1 firearms certificate if it is a working firearm, I suggest a call to your local fire arms enquiry officer (Police) they can sort out any licensing issues, such as when people pass one and have a gun collection. They also may be able to suggest a reputable dealer to appraise and give you a report on it. If it is to be deactivated they can also assist with who where and how. Don't hand about though as you may be liable if you do not report it soonest.