21st birthday coming up and.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

My vote goes to a No8 I reach for mine all the time! I have 2 No7 but they don't usually get a look-in. I made my chairs using mostly my Record No8, LN 601/2 and my home made shoulder plane. The extra weight of a No8 means it stops for nothing!.

Pete

shim20":77ixdsyi said:
right im having a job here to decide between the clifton no7 and the ln low angle jointer, would you say the ln low angle is better for shooting and general work, or a no7 with the normal angle i.e not low angle, cheers

Hi Shim20

Well I have both planes ( :oops: ), and for what it's worth, I would categorically recommend the Clifton over the LN.

Cheers

Karl

Hi,

I like jointers, so I have the #7 from Clifton and LN, the #8 from LN too. Then two woodies... but I digress. I tried the low angle Veritas several times. All are terrific.

The Clifton has heft, low gravity, but I dislike the two piece chipbreaker. The tote is second most ergonomic to me, maybe a tad too small.

The LN is lighter, most ergonomic tote very good heft, gravity is fine. I like the design above all. It would be my first choice.

The LN #8 is substantial in mass, but if I had only one jointer, I would choose the #7. Every other feature is like on the #7.

The Veritas low angle has much heft, mouth opening is faster to handle, so you will change it actually. The iron comes finely prepared, a tad better than that on the LN. I don't like the handle.

The LN 7 1/2, I dont have, but ask me in a year or so :whistle:

table15.JPG

karl":3pen3cg5 said:
shim20":3pen3cg5 said:
right im having a job here to decide between the clifton no7 and the ln low angle jointer, would you say the ln low angle is better for shooting and general work, or a no7 with the normal angle i.e not low angle, cheers

Hi Shim20

Well I have both planes ( :oops: ), and for what it's worth, I would categorically recommend the Clifton over the LN.

Cheers

Karl

Shim20,

If you choose the Clifton, go sure the sides are abslutely square to the sole. It wasn't the case with mine. No problems on that yet with a LN...

MarcW":2eat7ciu said:
Hi,

I like jointers, so I have the #7 from Clifton and LN, the #8 from LN too. Then two woodies... but I digress. I tried the low angle Veritas several times. All are terrific.

The Clifton has heft, low gravity, but I dislike the two piece chipbreaker. The tote is second most ergonomic to me, maybe a tad too small.

The LN is lighter, most ergonomic tote very good heft, gravity is fine. I like the design above all. It would be my first choice.

The LN #8 is substantial in mass, but if I had only one jointer, I would choose the #7. Every other feature is like on the #7.

The Veritas low angle has much heft, mouth opening is faster to handle, so you will change it actually. The iron comes finely prepared, a tad better than that on the LN. I don't like the handle.

The LN 7 1/2, I dont have, but ask me in a year or so :whistle:

table15.JPG

thanks thats a good review, if id did go ln id have to get a highcarbon blade as i dont get on well with the a2 to much, need to make mind up soon jan 4th is the deadline

im tempeted by the clifton as its british and looks traditonal :lol: need to give classic handtools a ring after xmas i think for a look.

buy British - especially in todays financial climate ,lets use our manufacturing industries not lose them especially when the product is as good if not better

chill":3tanz0f4 said:
buy British - especially in todays financial climate ,lets use our manufacturing industries not lose them especially when the product is as good if not better

The rate the pound's falling, we soon won't be able to afford imported goods!

BugBear

I think what Byron is saying is that a good plane is adequate for the prep stages. For finishing though, a 'better than good' plane is preferred.

That's fine, but if the prepping plane tears out too deeply... Well, it's a scrapped piece or a re-design in thickness?

Although, I still believe a sharp cutter, properly set will do the job adquately. At the end of the day, even a 'Holtey' has to be sharp and properly set.

:)

well thanks very much for everyones help/advice ive decided to go for the clifton british and all that :lol: going to get it engraved to so when i have it will post pics up, thanks again
ben

Excellent choice. Don't forget to hold your finger on the bottom piece of the cap iron each time you remove or replace the blade, so it doesn't drop onto the bench/floor each time (that seems to be the main complaint about Cliftons).

I wish I could afford one, but until I can I have to settle for a Clifton iron and cap iron in a Record.

Happy Birthday Shim, and happy New Year everyone.

Vann

Hi Marc W

What are the brass lever caps? are these something you have fitted later or something earlier record planes came with?

Cheers

Paul

Back