2017- more of the same I suspect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dalboy":2oovcff2 said:
Looking good Chas. Glad you have got the weight down I presume hat is through hollowing out as much as you dare.
Yes Derek, perhaps more of a case of 'as much as I can be bothered too' but being realistic it is surprising how little that extra pass makes to the weight so as you say there is a risk factor so I back off rather than enter the 'Dare I' scenario.

You should know by now that the famous words always hold true and those are "I will take just one final cut" and the next phrase is normally followed with the air turning a little blue :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walnut & Ash.
DSCN5862.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5862.JPG
    DSCN5862.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 936
A change of style, for the next few.
Mixture of woods, Yew, Beech, Sapele. in these.
DSCN5863.JPG
DSCN5864.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5863.JPG
    DSCN5863.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 911
  • DSCN5864.JPG
    DSCN5864.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 911
Hope so Dereck, just trying to simplify assembly methods to speed things up.

Well here's a few more from this afternoons session.

Yew, Ash, Sapele.
DSCN5865.JPG
DSCN5866.JPG
DSCN5867.JPG

Now got to think a bit more about colour contrasts to add bling without too much work content if possible.

Attachments

• DSCN5865.JPG
    DSCN5865.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 898
  • DSCN5866.JPG
    DSCN5866.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 898
  • DSCN5867.JPG
    DSCN5867.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 898
Used up some of the bits left over from the last session of off-cut reduction.

Sapele, Beech Ash.
DSCN5868.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5868.JPG
    DSCN5868.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 877
Woodmonkey":359otcs1 said:
Isn't that sumac lovely, it reminds me of tigers eye
That's why I tried it on these, have quite a stash of it, it tends to be rather soft when very dry and not sure I can get the best out of it in such small pieces.
May try to get a deeper glaze next time I use it to see if there's an increase in the apparent colour spectrum.

Yew. Beech, Walnut.
DSCN5870.JPG
DSCN5871.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5870.JPG
    DSCN5870.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCN5871.JPG
    DSCN5871.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 758
Walnut, Beech, Sapele.
DSCN5872.JPG
DSCN5873.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5872.JPG
    DSCN5872.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 733
  • DSCN5873.JPG
    DSCN5873.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 733
Still churning them out.

Walnut, Beech, Sapele, Ash.
DSCN5874.JPG
DSCN5875.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5874.JPG
    DSCN5874.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCN5875.JPG
    DSCN5875.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 706
Yeh, a bit of an excessive compulsion on the go at the moment Derek, glued up a host of segment blanks the other day and then because I was asked for some as light as possible decided to part them into disks rather than making larger individuals, it's a quick way to keep the weight down as it avoids too much hollowing.

As to Xmas stock? assuming not too many get parcelled up into 'gift packs' by the boss for folks that have 'oohd and Arrd' over them there might be some left over come the annual fund raiser.

If I mix and match this 'disk' pattern with the 'cone' variety from the stubs to short to part off easily I probably have enough segment blanks for a couple of dozen more.

I am now starting to get quite a bit of different woods ideal for segmented, so you never know I might just have a play myself.

Some one dropped off 5 big bags(larger than the carrier bags) of Panga Panga flooring which is approximatley 9" x 3" x 3/4" each tile. I have cleaned one and it looks great.

You need to keep your eyes open for a contrast wood to go with it Derek, something causing me to turf out a lot of stock I had not considered, at least it means you can salvage more stock that has suffered from drying splits.

This afternoon sorted out some Lilac for it's white appearance to go with some Sapele disks next up for assembly.
May not be such a problem for you as you are better versed at colouring than me although I have tried staining a couple of times, I prefer straight wood colour if possible.

Very impressive stuff he has there Chas I am sure there are one or two there that you are more than capable to achieve but not for me as I need to do my first

Back