2017- more of the same I suspect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This mornings piece to test out the suitability of the replacement Cole Jaw Sleeves.

Yew 180mm dia.
DSCN6181.JPG
DSCN6180.JPG
DSCN6182.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6181.JPG
    DSCN6181.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCN6180.JPG
    DSCN6180.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCN6182.JPG
    DSCN6182.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 649
:lol: The jaw buttons certainly seem to do the job so many things that could be made using the printer. Nice bowl by the way but then I expect nothing less from you

Dalboy":eyjeayid said:
:lol: The jaw buttons certainly seem to do the job so many things that could be made using the printer. ...
Just need to check them against a plain un-beaded surface in case they cut in, the top couple of layers are slightly firmer than the 'body' due to layering requirements, in this instance the top couple of layers actually coincided with the bead groove, good for the piece but not as helpful as it could have been for checking for any marring of surface.

Another lump cleared out of the way, that's another box of bits finally out of the way and it served the purpose of additional checks on the new Cole Jaw sleeves.

Yew 150mm dia.
DSCN6184.JPG
DSCN6183.JPG
DSCN6185.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6184.JPG
    DSCN6184.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 578
  • DSCN6183.JPG
    DSCN6183.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 578
  • DSCN6185.JPG
    DSCN6185.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 578
Another nice piece the finish is up to the usual high standards but then expect nothing less from you Chas.

Instead of using what I have I seem to be collecting loads of wood at the moment so far Ash and Oak

Yes noted that little (almost 'drive by' ) gloat, looks like there will be some interesting stock enhancements there.

Finishing of pieces seems to be taking a higher profile these days, something I've always tried to do my best at, it's one area that you can satisfy folks critical appraisal even if they are not enamoured with your design etc.

CHJ":38enrv1t said:
Yes noted that little (almost 'drive by' ) gloat, looks like there will be some interesting stock enhancements there.

Finishing of pieces seems to be taking a higher profile these days, something I've always tried to do my best at, it's one area that you can satisfy folks critical appraisal even if they are not enamoured with your design etc.

I had one of our club members here today(good job as he helped collect the wood) and something I told him was it does not matter who a piece is for even yourself finish it as though you are entering a competition that way no piece comes out of the workshop with a bad finish.
i know I can spent as much time on a finish as turning it

Dalboy":385bingy said:
i know I can spent as much time on a finish as turning it

What annoys me is the number of times I fail to spot that little niggle in the process, only for it to stand out like a wart at a later stage and grow bigger by the minute.

Only yesterday I grabbed a couple of oddments out of the bin, fully convinced they were good to go for glue up only to spot at the second coat of looking at that I had not cleaned up the mating faces adequately, just a few more seconds of inattention would have seen firewood this morning or at best a disproportionate amount of time hiding the defects whilst attempting to finish.

A couple of salvaged "Leftovers" that otherwise would have gone to the firewood supplies, basically innards of previous segmented boxes that were cored out rather than just turned into shavings..

Oak & Walnut 100mm dia.
DSCN6186.JPG
DSCN6187.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6186.JPG
    DSCN6186.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCN6187.JPG
    DSCN6187.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 342

Latest posts

Back