UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started building two mandolins June 2004 and they were eventually finished August 2005. These were my first mandolins made from scratch and plans obtained from the states. A steep learning curve through out the complete build. Here are photos of one of them.
Collage1.jpg

Bob

That is something else - well done. =D> =D>

Fantastic finish on it. 8)

What was the most difficult or time consuming part d'you reckon?

Cheers

Tim

Pretty much 80% of the instrument was difficult to build, but the body scroll rebate for the plastic binding was quite taxing for my skills as the photo below shows. You can only rout so far then the rest has to be done by hand.
Bindingrabbet.jpg

Martin, the tool is what Alf said, a ( home made ) binding router. Alf, anything that is inside the outer binding is called perfelling. Perfelling could be Abelone shell, herring bone inlay strip etc. I`ve made some improvements to the tool since the photos, in respect that I now have micro adjustment of the fence. I shall be making some more of these instruments in the future, as I have all the forms and jigs for building these already made, building will be much quicker.

Not all pure woodwork but essential to the cause anyway,
Rework of Lathe shed electrics before Part P implementation date and incorporate Alarm System.
Rework of Garage Workbench to incorporate router.
A couple of Computer work stations.
Rework of Blanket Chest made by my Great Grandfather (to remove critters from base)
New internal Double Doors and associated frame for neighbors Utility room.
Replacement of rotten Double Doors on Lathe Shed with side panel and Single Door to improve security.
Insulate and line Lathe shed ceiling and walls, (Studding frame/Plasterboard)
Turning Tool Sharpening Jigs and several others for Router etc.
Grinding Station for Lathe shed.
Work Top and under storage cupboards for Lathe shed.
And a few bits of shaped wood from the Lathe Shed.
Made a General Nuisance of myself on the forum.

devonwoody":1ucxf3lg said:
CHJ

What did you turn? :)
Just a few bits of useless "Round Spinney things" as some would put it John, out of bits of Alder,Ash,Brown Oak,Beech,Birch,Bubinga,Cedar,Cherry,Chestnut,Hazel,Iroko,Laburnum,Lacewood/plane,Mahogany,Pau Rosa,Poplar,Purple Heart,Sycamore,Tulip Tree,Walnut,Wellingtonia,Yew,Zebrano. :wink: :lol: Just enough surplus to pay for a Bandsaw in the new year.

1. Ladder/Library Chair inspired by a Benjamin Franklin design. :D

2. "Craftsman" Wall Shelf - for ever-growing DVD collection! :wink:

3. Simple Shoe Rack from Good Woodworking a few issues back, using yellow pine offcuts and lengths of softwood dowel.
*I also promised my mum one for Christmas, soon to be a "late arrival"! :wink:

4. Narrow 3ft high fence panel to stop dog creaping round side of garage/workshop. Two fence panels blew down early in the year, which supplied me with more than enough timber - and a post too! :)

5. Dead simple wall bracket for sash cramps (picture an enlarged finger joint).

I think that's all I've done, but given my great limitations in space, heating, time and experience, I'm very pleased with all I've produced. A router, some hand tools, two old drills, a table saw and planer-thicknesser - that's all I have and needed for these jobs.

And my list for 2006 is already more than five times the size of this!

Speaking of which, when do you get a topic for 2006?

Here's to the New Year!

I can now claim:-

Mini greenhouse kit
Shooting Board
Heath Robinsonesque Jack Plane Fence - now refined with smaller clamps

Andy