2. Steve's Workshop- The Commissioning and Production

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Olivier
I have to say that my heart sank when I saw that someone else was making kit suggestions, as I have spent months researching my options and had reached a decision. The last thing I need is someone throwing a spanner in the works!

:)

But when I saw what it was that you were recommending, I was delighted, because that is the one I have decided upon. I have the G1 and am very pleased with it. Plus, my existing camcorder is a Panny and that was also a good choice at the time. So thank you. It's good to have personal recommendations, especially when they support one's existing bias!

Steve Maskery":l3zvj3xv said:
OK, that was a cheap joke.
TBH it never occurred to me, and anyway, I know just about nothing at all about stains, dyes and finishing, it's not at all my strong point.

I think you could have saved quite a few hours work :wink:

Yes Bob, you are probably right, but as I say, It's not something I know much about. So I did it the way I knew.
I'm happy with the end result.

How about offering a day "Masterclass at Colour Correction"?

:)

I'd come.
Steve

How does this work?

There are now two pinned threads at the top of the main forum page, both of which serve to promote Steve's DVD's, and are right in your eye line whether or not there's been anything posted recently that's of interest to the forum. In effect the Steve Maskery Forum has hijacked the UK Workshop Forum.

So why not also offer pinned threads on the main sub forum to Peter Sefton, David Charlesworth, Richard Maguire, Chris Tribe, Scott & Sergeant, and any other posters who also have a commercial offering for the members? That's only fair. But I guess then there'd be too much clutter on the opening page.

Therefore shouldn't Steve's threads be re-allocated to the correct sub-forums and allowed to float? That way it's the most recent and topical posts are the ones that visitors see first. If site traffic keeps Steve's posts at the top that's great, it shows he's being the most active with fresh content and therefore deserves the publicity...that's show business!

By the way, I'm not having a go at Steve, I enjoyed his workshop build thread as much as anyone, I bought his DVD's and learnt a great deal from them. But this seems to set a precedent that, if followed through to its logical conclusion, is not in the best interests of the forum, as it opens up a process that could result in the forum silting up with under-visited, stagnant posts and suppressing the more topical content. So rather than let this become the thin edge of a problematic wedge, why not just fix it?

My issue with the thread is the title keeps changing, so it's not a thread at all.

Great we have a really long thread but surely anyone could start a thread and just keep adding to it.

I just feel the thread is endless yet the original workshop is done. So it has become the Steve Maskery thread. Sorry Steve but I just speak honestly these days.

An example could be that Mailee posts individual projects up, rather than the Mailee thread which I'm sure would be just as long by now and therefore more looked at probably.

I have to say, when I questioned the continuation of the original build thread I had not anticipated another 'mega thread' being created, rather that each individual project would get its own thread.

Part of my logic for this was a point Steve then reiterated himself on a separate thread, i.e. that when a thread becomes enormous and very wide ranging it becomes near impossible to find any particular point. I do not know how the search works on UKW, but if this thread is 100 pages long in a year or two and has changed title twenty times if somebody searches for how to patch something will Steve's detailed and very helpful posts on how he did it come up in the search? If not then that would be a real shame.

Terry.

OK Chaps.
I can see that some people are getting a bit annoyed, and yes, I can see why. So I've asked Chas to unstick both threads so that they can die a natural death unless anyone actually posts to them.

And instead of posting my film-related work on here I'll do it on facebook. Not as many people will see it, but at least those who do will have chosen to do so.

Is that a good solution?

I'm happy to see the film related stuff on Facebook but it would be a shame to lose it from here. Surely it could be posted in the general chat forum?

Steve

I for one would say the build thread should remain stickied a bit like the stickied threads on planning and building control rules or the building a shed Mike's way, it is a really helpful reference source of info on building a workshop (but maybe it should be in the projects section). My concern was more with the creation of a new 'mega thread' rather than discrete project specific posts.

I'm not sure what counts as film related work, so harder to comment on whether that is best on FaceBook or not. However, your posts have always had a different 'look' to the majority on here, with lots of action shots, I find them very informative and as they say 'a picture says a thousand words'. I have always assumed that your approach is because of your background in producing instructional videos. I appreciate that you want to monetize your knowledge and experience (I would want to do the same if I had any knowledge or experience of value to others), but rather selfishly I do hope that it doesn't mean you won't be making futher posts like the coffee table patch. But in discrete threads.

Terry.

I don't agree with, but understand the points made by others.

Chas, regarding Steve's workshop build thread, could you retain its "sticky " status but leave it locked, as a compromise?
It would be a shame that something that has kept us interested for so long is lost in the depths of old posts.

lurker":gctxu5un said:
..Chas, regarding Steve's workshop build thread, could you retain its "sticky " status but leave it locked, as a compromise?
It would be a shame that something that has kept us interested for so long is lost in the depths of old posts.

Yes this was the intention and is already actioned Jim, it's very difficult to strike a balance when moderators leave information links and threads up for folks to catch up with for 48 hrs. whilst things are discussed and sorted behind the scenes and then members chime in with what I see (maybe I'm over sensitive) public condemnation of Mod action/work in progress.

As regards 'mega thread' creation and objections to them elsewhere regarding the ability to search the forum for references, this is always a problem, one in particular that has been running for about 18 months has resulted in the reduction of individual searchable projects and members pieces to the point that the forum is lucky to see an obvious and searchable post/thread about a creation amongst the 30-50 UKW posts per day. So far this morning I think it's about 3% that relate to workshop creations.

But it would appear that the bulk of the membership would prefer to add a quick image (blog wise) rather than generate a new thread.

CHJ":134pv78l said:
But it would appear that the bulk of the membership would prefer to add a quick image (blog wise) rather than generate a new thread.
For example my cyclone post of last night. It would make a very dull and short thread if I had created a new one. Had I had questions on how best to do it or if it was on-going thing then I'd have created a WIP thread of my own. Similarly with my bandsaw cat.

You had me going with the phone call thing.

In terms of the video kit, my degree is in film and photography (Or I call it cinematography when I'm trying to fool someone - and myself - in to thinking it wasn't a waste of time) and I worked in radio for the past three years so I'm fairly good on sound and editing etc. I might be able to help you in terms of kit and video production etc. It doesn't have to be as expensive as you think.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Steve Maskery":jmk8erqd said:
OK Chaps.
And instead of posting my film-related work on here I'll do it on facebook. Not as many people will see it, but at least those who do will have chosen to do so.

Is that a good solution?

Hi Steve,
Why not YouTube? In my opinion, more controllable than face book and it can generate a small revenue.
John

woodshavings":323clvj4 said:
Steve Maskery":323clvj4 said:
OK Chaps.

Is that a good solution?

Hi Steve,
Why not YouTube? In my opinion, more controllable than face book and it can generate a small revenue.
John
I would second that, you have 42 Facebook 'Likes' but 4452 subscribers on YouTube. Seems to me you already have an existing following on YT.

regards

Brian

WoodMangler":3n4uoo0t said:
No. Some people (me included) don't 'do' facebook. I see nothing wrong with a relevant thread here, in the appropriate forum.

Seconded - I tried using Facebook as it was supposed to be used and hated it. Not to mention that the only traffic I get these days is my alcoholic mother-in-law harrassing me!

I'd rather not have to bother with FB to see some decent woodworking content, and don't see why a thread in the appropriate forum shouldn't be fine. If Peter Sefton wants to promote his shop and/or school with some WIP projects of his own I'd love to see those too! ;-)

Back