Quantcast

1960's Teak Veneered Chest of Drawers - Restored.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick strip and polish on this one. Nice veneering. Back of the drawers are veneered in mahogany / sapele.

chest1ukw.JPG
chest2.JPG

Attachments

ben2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

That's amazing. The first picture I would have classified as junk, the second as an heirloom.

How did you do it?

Mark

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pete and Mark, well, it did get thrown out, sort of, by my neighbours who gave it to me a few days ago. The honest answer is that it's quite an amazing looking piece and nearly all the old furniture is colour sprayed to match everything in together but after 50 years or so doesn't need it so it's just a method. Strip things till they are really clean, scrub them with soapy water and a Spontex scourer three times (some lacquers react) and polish. It has a very dilute water stain, two / three coats of sanding sealer and waxed. This one didn't even need any repairs, just some new oak and metal knobs from a nice fella off Ebay.

MickCheese

Established Member
Reaction score
That looks really nice. The book-matched veneer is very effective.

Well done for bringing that back to life.

Mick

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
not offended at all, it's interesting ... the perception of sentience could be honed slighty further ...

ankledeep

Established Member
Reaction score
kevin dwyer":280fjojf said:
not offended at all, it's interesting ... the perception of sentience could be honed slighty further ...
Kind of like the TRUNK in the discworld books...made from sapient pearwood??????

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
Very nice work bringing the angry chest back to life. Shame about the loss of the Swap Shop sticker though - very retro cool!