1960's Teak Veneered Chest of Drawers - Restored.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick strip and polish on this one. Nice veneering. Back of the drawers are veneered in mahogany / sapele.

chest1ukw.JPG
chest2.JPG

Attachments

• chest2.JPG
    chest2.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,510
  • chest1ukw.JPG
    chest1ukw.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,510
Hi

That's amazing. The first picture I would have classified as junk, the second as an heirloom.

How did you do it?

Mark

Thanks Pete and Mark, well, it did get thrown out, sort of, by my neighbours who gave it to me a few days ago. The honest answer is that it's quite an amazing looking piece and nearly all the old furniture is colour sprayed to match everything in together but after 50 years or so doesn't need it so it's just a method. Strip things till they are really clean, scrub them with soapy water and a Spontex scourer three times (some lacquers react) and polish. It has a very dilute water stain, two / three coats of sanding sealer and waxed. This one didn't even need any repairs, just some new oak and metal knobs from a nice fella off Ebay.

not offended at all, it's interesting ... the perception of sentience could be honed slighty further ...

kevin dwyer":280fjojf said:
not offended at all, it's interesting ... the perception of sentience could be honed slighty further ...

Kind of like the TRUNK in the discworld books...made from sapient pearwood??????

Very nice work bringing the angry chest back to life. Shame about the loss of the Swap Shop sticker though - very retro cool!

Back