1944 Kismet Air Ministry Foot Pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I just know that it looks lovely, is 1000% better than the Draper rubbish I've got in the boot, and I want one!

I'm no aeronautical engineer (wish I was sometimes!), but I can't think of much that would be pneumatic on a 1940s aircraft. Except the tyres, naturally. I wouldn't fancy trying to pump one of these up though :shock:

0Testing_the_tyre_pressure_of_Avro_Lancaster_R5540_of_No_44_Squadron_Conversion_Flight_at_Waddington,_Lincolnshire.jpg

Generally I think the subsystems were either electric or hydraulic, but I'm very happy to be corrected on that.

In any case, I second Andy T's comments that it looks far better made than a modern pump. Which reminds me, I still need to fix the hose on my almost-new Draper :roll:

I have managed to confirm it was specifically ground maintain for Spitfires and hurricanes that these were used for, so there must be some pneumatics somewhere in those... maybe the landing gear?

DTR":27as5sdz said:
In any case, I second Andy T's comments that it looks far better made than a modern pump. Which reminds me, I still need to fix the hose on my almost-new Draper :roll:
Darn hoses.... Halfords is still the only place I have found to source plain hoses for pumps. They are not terrible, but not great either (so short :? ), defiantly on the look out for a source of quality hose and connectors for these.

If you want one for practical purposes Andy I'd recommend a smaller Kismet model (such as the aptly named "Baby" below) or a Sutty (on of the few to have an in-built pressure gauge). As the Kismet Master is a bit overkill for most day to day tasks (Its a lump of a thing!) :)

Kismet Baby by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Though frankly all the old pumps outclass the modern rubbish, which is beyond awful quality (and I thought the modern hand drills were bad :shock: )

Thought this might interest some people, and image of what this beast looks like on the inside:

Kismet Master Duplex Air Ministry (dismantled) by Rhyolith, on Flickr

I think I now understand how it works. It compresses the air twice (2 stage), once in an outer cylinder and again in a inner cylinder... the concept of 2 stage foot pumps is explained using a walter and dobson pump in the document linked here: http://vintagepumps.co.uk/makes%20%26%2 ... obson.html

I must admit, I knew these were better than the modern rubbish... but how much better I had no idea! 300psi this thing can compress to apparently :shock:

As you know I'm trying to scotch suggestions that foot pumps were 'used on the pneumatic systems of Spifires'.

To be fair the wording on vintagepumps.co.uk is not clear/accurate. >>

"Several types of KISMET pump were issued in the tool kits of quality cars such as Rolls Royce and Bentley. They also supplied heavy-duty military issue examples for use by the Army and Air Force in WW2. In the RAF they were used, among other things, for pressurising the pneumatic systems of Spitfires and Hurricanes during ground maintenance and repair. These military issue pumps, with their distinctive Air Ministry and Crown Property (broad arrow) logos are extremely collectable."

Whilst ( having just bought one!) I am pleased to see "... extremely collectable" I must take issue with any idea of plain foot pumps being used.
The KISMET 'Military model' was a very different bit of kit for very sound reasons.
The Ministry-marked footpumps would surely have been used for the tyres of staff cars (Humber and Singer plus possibly other makes ...) ?
I've started another thread on the Military pump with photos.

Back