1940's Turner Walker table saw Photos added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired this ancient saw and don't quite know what to do with it. My head told me to keep walking but my heart was drawn by the C.I top and patented geared mitre gauge as well as the price (zilch). On the down side it is missing a motor and is a tilting table as opposed to arbor.
2071686907_b9036fc30c.jpg

2072480338_e2ad489fda.jpg

2071688799_fcf09d5dc9.jpg

I was kind of thinking it could be set up as a dedicated dado machine except I'm building a super duper router station so would be a little surplus to requirements!Any suggestions? This is a similar saw restored by another Tom.
http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=992

Regards Tom

Thanks Martin I think its working ! :D The last two pictures are my Deluxe Router Station WIP I'm sure you spotted the Unilift and big Porter Cable hanging through the workmate not quite as finished as yours eh :roll:

2072486208_b99939993c.jpg

2071693989_d0339df3b5.jpg

Tom

Not a bad idea but mate. It would mean the tilt table could pretty much be locked in place, the idea of the table slamming down midcut is pretty scary :shock: . Definitely needs saving though there are only two examples on the American OWWM site so its a rare old thing and quite a bit older than me :p

Tom

:arrow: Added a few pics of the mitre gauge it is geared and has a detent system seems quite advanced for its age! :D
2072484250_d1e7053c9b.jpg

2072484868_98208f18fa.jpg

2071692667_516e3b91da.jpg

Tomo

without doubt the best thing you can do for that beautiful saw is give it to me :D

where it would be lovingly restored to its former glory and used again - as a machinist for 40 years and still have friends in workshops the table would be flashed off on the surface grinder - the body bead blast (not sand or grit)

the list goes on and on

but I am sure you will get all that done yourself :( :( and end up with a bit of kit everyone will envy

Hi Dewi, thanks for your interest 8) the blade is bit of a red herring.
I slipped that on to check for runout..however there is fresh looking
chiv on the full length fence :evil: Oh your not the only admirer of the precious :wink:

Tommo the sawdust maker":1mx6q7gl said:
Hi Dewi, thanks for your interest 8) the blade is bit of a red herring.
I slipped that on to check for runout..however there is fresh looking
chiv on the full length fence :evil: Oh your not the only admirer of the precious :wink:

so I won't be collecting it soon!!!! :oops: :oops:

so I won't be collecting it soon!!!!

See what dedication the precious inspires :twisted: Pembrokeshire to NW Kent for a 67 year old saw that the previous owner apparently couldn't be a**ed to put back into the van :lol:

Regards Tom

I cant imagine that fence moving what ever the side load. The fence alone is probably heaver than some of the cheap table saws.

Hi Tommo,
I was interested to read about your saw as I have one the same. I bought it second hand about 45 years ago and have used it ever since. It is the same make but uses the name 'DRIVER Line'. Mine has the same mitre gauge but it has a mazack alloy fence with a micro adjuster on it. It is superb quality and a joy to use, I have a 3HP motor on it so no problem with it ever stalling. The belt length varies as you move the blade up and down so the motor has to be fixed on a sliding bed to enable the correct tension to be maintained on the belt.
Good luck with it.

Beech Boy

Hi Beech Boy, nice to know there are others out there any chance of a photo or two? The Mitre Gauge has "The Driver Line" written on it.
A 3hp motor! :shock: I think the original sales material recommends either a 1/3 or 1/2hp job. Have you ever used a dado set on it?

Regards Tom

Back