144,000 mileage on a volvo - is it too high?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big soft moose":1sqy5hb3 said:
the suspension bushes, brake discs, clutch, gear box linkages etc all start getting worn out arround the 100k mark - which is no big deal to someone in the trade, - but sucks that fat one if you've just spent 4k on the motor

I think that's where we differ mate - in my book brakes and clutches (and some other) bits are consumables. Do the mileage (or use the clutch pedal as a foot rest or misuse the brakes - having done very little mileage) then these items will need replacing.

Gear box linkages - most modern cars, you'd be hard pressed to tell if the box had done 150K or 5k if all you are doing is slotting the gears.

But as with all things depending on what you driven - you mileage may vary.

I think for what Rob is looking for, a 02+ VW Passat would represent stonking value with sizeable load space in the back. The suspension turrets don't intrude into the space. Owning a BM - he'll know what I mean. :wink:

Dibs

Dibs-h":25sv4msp said:
big soft moose":25sv4msp said:
the suspension bushes, brake discs, clutch, gear box linkages etc all start getting worn out arround the 100k mark - which is no big deal to someone in the trade, - but sucks that fat one if you've just spent 4k on the motor

I think that's where we differ mate - in my book brakes and clutches (and some other) bits are consumables. Do the mileage (or use the clutch pedal as a foot rest or misuse the brakes - having done very little mileage) then these items will need replacing.

we dont differ on that - it was my precise point - after 144 thou they will need replacing, which is fine if you got the car cheap, but isnt good news if you've just swapped a low milleage boomer for it - particularly when you can get a volvo with half as many miles for considerably less than 4k.

I agree with you that a passat would be an excellent choice for rob, but again you can do better than a high milleage 02 plate for £4k

In robs shoes i would either part ex the boomer for a much newer volvo/vw, or just sell it and use some of the 4k to buy a volvo/vw withabout 80k on it - then you still have cash in hand if bits need replacing (or for that matter buy a volvbo with loadsamiles on it - but dont pay more than 1500 notes)

If he really doesnt want to do anything other than a straightswap for his bob, he could still get a better deal than that volvo - like a volvo with half as many miles.

big soft moose":183pxwpr said:
I agree with you that a passat would be an excellent choice for rob, but again you can do better than a high milleage 02 plate for £4k

Specsavers for you it seems! :lol:

I said 02+. :wink: I think there were subtle changes after 02. The 130 BHP with 6 speed box is the one I'm thinking about.

Any reason for going for 6 speeds? Before getting my current Golf, I tried a 6-speed with the same engine and body, and the extra gear just seemed totally superfluous. For my style of driving, the 100psi PD pulls so well you could probably get by with 4 gears!

big soft moose":32dw399v said:
Gary":32dw399v said:
big soft moose":32dw399v said:
guy at work drives a ford anglia,, about 25 years old

or how about this from 1931 - not bad for a fix or repair daily.

So you work with Harry Potter?

Anglias went out of production in 1967 so I make it at least 43 years old.

That 31 Ford did have a new axle in 1937 though. :lol:

My mistake its not an Anglia, its a Zephyr ( I think) its the one with fins, its a very 'tasteful' shade of pink :shock: - Personally I think it looks bleddy awful but he likes it

The last Zephyr's were made in 1972, making them 38 years old. You do realise we are into 2010 now? :lol:

Dick

Mine's a 6 speed 130bhp and I can put it in 6th at speeds over 50 and it pulls smoothly. Economy is around 50mpg on a run. So for that little extra you're better off with the 6sp, as it pays for itself with better economy.

Dibs

dickm":1nuv16pk said:
Any reason for going for 6 speeds? Before getting my current Golf, I tried a 6-speed with the same engine and body, and the extra gear just seemed totally superfluous. For my style of driving, the 100psi PD pulls so well you could probably get by with 4 gears!

For the Volvo question i gave away a 51 plate V40 estate to lad who does banger racing last year, the fuel pump had gone (renault TD engine) and was looking like £1200 to fix it, bought myself a '97 5 Series Touring with 160,000 on it for £1000, last month i clocked up 200,000 and it's never missed a beat.. i'll never get another volvo, something tells me they're made in the netherlands in a ford factory anyway... platform sharing or something...

just my opinion...

jim

Dibs-h":2ofjkj3e said:
Dick

Economy is around 50mpg on a run. So for that little extra you're better off with the 6sp, as it pays for itself with better economy.

Dibs
I get 53-55 mpg at all times on the 5spd PD Golf estate - must be a lighter car or a lighter right foot!
The problem I had with the 6 spd Golf was that 6th speed was no "longer" than 5th on the 5 speed, and at my age, the extra gear below that was just confusing :(

our 5 speed focus is averaging 56mph - and thats with a lot of short trips - on the motorway it gives over 60 - partly i'd admit because swimbo drives it most of the time and she has a lighter right foot than me

When I drive the focus efficieny drops to about 50mpg, because i'm continually punching the turbo in when over taking on short straights etc.

that said most of the time I'm driving a peugot partner van also 5speed , and that also gives about 53 mpg - but i suspect thats down to having no turbo - so i dont get to indulge my heavy right foot very often.

I'm with dick in that I dont think an extra gear gives that much extra unless its like some mercedes in having a sprint gear and a cruise gear.

dickm":2nyb7b70 said:
Dibs-h":2nyb7b70 said:
Dick

Economy is around 50mpg on a run. So for that little extra you're better off with the 6sp, as it pays for itself with better economy.

Dibs
I get 53-55 mpg at all times on the 5spd PD Golf estate - must be a lighter car or a lighter right foot!
The problem I had with the 6 spd Golf was that 6th speed was no "longer" than 5th on the 5 speed, and at my age, the extra gear below that was just confusing :(

Sorry should have said with the speedo usually pegged at 85 (sorry I meant 65 Officer), I get around 600 something to a tank, which at 13 gallons to the tank - it's close to 50mpg. I do get around 700 per tank with slightly more normal speeds (which gives around 54mpg). :wink:

Around town (proper urban - no commuter sitting in traffic tho) - I'll get around 500 to the tank.

Dibs

There is only 3 reasons you would need /want 6 speeds:-

1. Your hauling 10 tons.
2. Your on a qualifing lap at Monaco.
3. To tell everybody you have 6 speeds.
:D

andycktm":2f07csmc said:

1. Your hauling 10 tons.

You forgot small having a small cock.

My 01 transit has 200k miles, its been well maintained and drives like new. My wifes car is a 06 Laguna with 108k and is as good as new.
My 1970 Cougar has done 400k miles and is on it 6th engine :lol: I do drive it hard though!

Gary":22l1clbt said:
andycktm":22l1clbt said:

1. Your hauling 10 tons.

well its brave of you tio be so honest :lol:

big soft moose":1uqe3wl0 said:
Gary":1uqe3wl0 said:
andycktm":1uqe3wl0 said:

1. Your hauling 10 tons.

Mines only got five so it must be massive. :lol:

Gary":3ajg7mxr said:
big soft moose":3ajg7mxr said:
Gary":3ajg7mxr said:
andycktm":3ajg7mxr said:

1. Your hauling 10 tons.

whatever - i'm just popping out for a drive in my 3 speed :lol:

big soft moose":1xho1jsb said:
Gary":1xho1jsb said:
big soft moose":1xho1jsb said:
Gary":1xho1jsb said:
andycktm":1xho1jsb said:

1. Your hauling 10 tons.

whatever - i'm just popping out for a drive in my 3 speed :lol:

Go steady as you pass me on my 1 speed bike. :wink:

Gary":1xzw2cn8 said:
big soft moose":1xzw2cn8 said:
Gary":1xzw2cn8 said:
andycktm":1xzw2cn8 said:

1. Your hauling 10 tons.

I've always thought either on or off - i.e. a 2 speed is perfectly adequate!

big soft moose":1o01hpx6 said:
that said most of the time I'm driving a peugot partner van also 5speed , and that also gives about 53 mpg - but i suspect thats down to having no turbo - so i dont get to indulge my heavy right foot very often.

I'm with dick in that I dont think an extra gear gives that much extra unless its like some mercedes in having a sprint gear and a cruise gear.
Getting a bit off topic, but we have both a Golf estate with 100ps TDi PD engine and a Polo estate of similar age with the 110 non-Pd TDi. Not only does the Polo not accelerate as well as the (heavier, less horses) Golf, but it is also slightly less economical (2 or 3 mpg).
Suggests that engine designers must be getting something right.

Back