10" disc sander, but which grit to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swb58

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy Easter,
I was recently given and have just cleaned up a Picador 10" disc sander, seems a tidy bit of kit. The disc that's on it is u/s and I don't know what grit paper would be best to go for as I imagine once it's fitted it'll be there until worn out. I'm thinking start off with a course grit which will get finer with use.
No idea what I'm going to use it for, any thoughts or tips on what I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Not sure if its the same model but I picked up a 10" Picador a couple of years ago for the princely sum of £9

It was pre velcro, so added a velcro base to the disc by adding strips of velcro which has worked fine ever since

I bought 120 grit to test it out and have found that fine for most jobs, I use it all the time

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at self adhesive discs but the Velcro option sounds a plan. Looking forward to getting it working, making a gauge to fit in the slot then . . . . sanding something. #-o

Cheers.

I use 36 grit on my 12" disc, but then I use it almost exclusively for flattening and shaping.

I think what grit to use on a disc sander is very much down to what you intend to use it for. If you primarily intend it for removing a fair bit of material you'll probably want 80 or coarser, even if you primarily work softwoods. But if you'll just use it for a bit of cleaning up then 120 or finer.

A compromise would be to mount two grits at once like this:

WX1K6gu.jpg

Back