£4500

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a corner it would look smashing in, although I'd prefer it in the Black American Walnut.

The price? More power to them. I'm frequently surprised at what people consider good value vs. poor value; one simple definition: if it appreciates in value it's good value. Ask me again in 25 years, by which time I'll have enjoyed it for 25 years at less than 50p a day - that's cheaper than a daily newspaper and way better for my blood pressure.

Personally, I am not a fan of the design, or the material, but that is just my personal taste. But re the price, I think its realistic, especially after I add up the man hours in some of the stuff I make. Granted, the majority is not for profit, but personal enjoyment, however, I have recently dipped a toe into the commercial side of things and seen how difficult it would be to make doing this professionally, pay.

I think batch production, proper design and significant investment in machinery are a must.

From the pics, it looks well made and the design is "individual". Not sure I like it, but that is largely because it seems to hark back to the 1960s/70s styles which never appealed to me. Good luck to the makers if they can get the price - if someone is prepared to pay that, then that is what the piece is worth.
However, I do wonder about it's practicality - what is the strength of bog oak? Those legs look very elegant and skinny, but in bog oak, would they stand up to impact by a toddler?

Gerard Scanlan":n5flfem8 said:
To everyone annoyed by the price of this piece.
You can say this is more than you can afford to pay for such a piece of furniture.
However if you are not actually in the market for such a piece why complain about the price?

As Woodcrafts has been kind enough to calculate for us this is not actually the kings ransom. But no one has mentioned the VAT component of the price. We have become so addicted to mass manufactured goods that it is easy to consider an individually made piece expensive. Don't misunderstand me it is a lot of money, but it is also unique. Compare this to other individually crafted items that you may have purchased in the past and it is not that shocking. A good example is a dental crown or bridge or implant or further down that road false teeth. Items made for you, to order and to make your life more enjoyable. Just like this desk.
If you can do this better (make your original designs) and make them for less and still feed your family, with cabinet making as your sole source of income, there is nothing to stop you proving me wrong.
Why don't we support the people making beautiful furniture from wood for a living instead of suggesting that they are over charging?

Because its an open forum and a free country etc...

We should celebrate the fact that bespoke furniture making in this country can obtain prices like this.

DT

Indeed. I wonder if opinion here is divided between those who enjoy woodwork as a hobby and those who endevour to make a living from their skills.

I think we should all be encouraged by small companies like this and offer them encouragement in return.

I read the article in a doctors waiting room and I recall I was wishing that my name would not be called before I had finished reading. I just had time to go an ask the receptionist if she would be kind enough to write down the url for me and then my name was called. phew!

Memory says that the piece of bog oak cost £10000 (10K), so these guys are definitely high end trade.

I think they are around 40 miles away from my home and I am sure I would keep finding a reason to pop into their premises if I lived in the same town/village, I would even offer to sweep up the shavings.

Its not to my taste and I wouldn't buy it if I had the money. However as a designer/maker I have designed stuff and made it that I wouldn't put in my own house. Life would be pretty boring if we all had the same taste and all our furniture looked the same. I have had a look at their website and there isn't much I would have in my own house. I still agree that its good to have designer makers like this company and others in the UK and clients who have the means to be customers of them.
I have people who come in to my workshop and look at items and when given a price exclaim that I am expensive. At £30 per hour plus vat I am way cheaper than every garage apart from one in a 15mile radius! I even had one potential customer drive up in a brand new £50,00 BMW complaining that the samples were too expensive. I took him to the back of the workshop and dumped all his samples in the wood burning stove with great pleasure and told him never to call me again. He then had the cheek to ask me if I knew of any companies in China who could make them for him! Some people just don't realise the costs of running a workshop.

Mike

Mike - your post is so true. The irony is that if that customer had been a dentist, for example, and you queried a £100 bill for a quarter of an hour's work, he would immediately say - ah, but you don't know how much my business rates, staff wages, subscriptions to National Geographic and so on add up to. It's always one way traffic.

Hello All,
Came through to your forum having seen a lot of traffic come through to our site from this post

Great to see all the honest comments and feedback - something that is hard to come by.

Just thought I would give you a little more insight into the piece, making etc. The design of the Animate desk has been evolving in the workshop over a course of three years now, having been one of the first pieces which was added to the collection. Whilst the earlier posts do underline that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the desk was awarded the Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers Design Guild Mark (DGM73) a little while back.

We see the the bog oak version of the desk as our ultimate iteration, using one of the most exclusive UK timbers and some beautiful local leathers in the drawer base. As some of you have pointed out, the margins on the pieces are slim indeed, but we look to use the desk as a tool to show off the skills of our makers and make potential customers aware of the the variety of timbers they have available when commissioning pieces from us. This worked well for us when we exhibited the desk at the Design Shanghai show in China earlier this year.

The bog oak was a both a treat and a challenge to work with. Although peppered with shakes (30% shrinkage during drying of the timber!), it gave off a rich peaty smell during machining and showed a incredible depth of colour on finishing.

We are in the fortunate position of being a young and growing cabinet making business and have discovered that there is an international appetite for contemporary high end furniture from the UK. Due to expanding business we are currently on the look out for experienced makers who are wanting to be part of this workshop. If interested, please do get in touch with us.

Peter

To Peter of youngnorgate, (you read my mind this morning, I wondered if you would find my post), thank you for your response.

I myself am always interested seeing new designs in furniture and wood items.

Please stick around here and perhaps not a fruitful market but can be very friendly.

BTW do you take on 77 year olds, live in Paignton. :wink:

Peter, great reply.

Looking at the piece it seems there are some really challenging constructional elements. The exposed runners, the wrap around grain, the chamfered drawer edges. This is really hard cabinet making.

You've mentioned the problems of working with bog oak, but it would be fascinating if you could talk us through some of the other technical challenges that you faced.

Peter,

it's not for me but who cares! It's a big wide world out there as you seem to have discovered, no matter what your doing there's always someone who would do it differently and that's to be celebrated (in general!). I love the materials, I love how its made, I love the fact your on a mission and going for it and fair play as well for replying to this thread.

You've clearly already had success and I hope that continues, finally, no I'm not after a job but I'm sure your be getting plenty of emails about that but I will echo the more posts please request :)

Dean

Back