Oak Refectory Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a recent build of an American oak refectory table with a pedestal leg. Dimensions are 2550 mm L X 1100 mm W X ~750 mm H. It's not my design and my role was to simply manufacture it on a freelance charged labour basis for a furniture business in their workshop, which is quite close to where I live.

I took quite a few photographs as I made the piece and turned them into a 'photo essay' here at my website for anyone that wishes to compare techniques with those they might choose to use in a similar job. Slainte.

ref-table-11-700px.jpg

ref-table-14-700px.jpg

Fascinating! Interesting to see how hand tools are still necessary on a high class commercial build.
And I hope you had some help lifting that lot.

Beautiful-looking table and a really helpful set of photos - looking forward to seeing the finish. Thanks for posting.

AndyT":3o67jhmb said:
Fascinating! Interesting to see how hand tools are still necessary on a high class commercial build.
And I hope you had some help lifting that lot.
Thanks Andy, Chris and Mike.

Lifting?! I think there's still somewhere between 6 and 6.5 ft³ of oak in it, and American white oak at 40-45 lb per ft³ ... well, you do the sums. There was roughly 12 ft³ bought before I started hacking at it on saws, planers, and the rest. I could just about handle flipping the top over when I was working on it lying flat on the bench, but lifting the assembled table is a bit more than I want to mess with, even with a helper. Four lifters might be getting close to finding it comfortable, ha, ha. Slainte.

Ttrees":3u8c1wj2 said:
Thoroughly enjoyed that thread Richard
More of the same, if you must Tom
Thanks Tom, but more of the same has to wait for me to have the project, the time, and the inspiration and willingness to put it out there, ha, ha. Slainte.

That really is beautiful Richard, especially the trestles which manage to look both substantial and elegant. A quick question for you though; how thick is the field of the top? The styles and rails look to be about 1” - 1 1/4” but I assume the field is a bit thinner? Is that right?

memzey":2au5sh1t said:
... how thick is the field of the top? The styles and rails look to be about 1” - 1 1/4” but I assume the field is a bit thinner? Is that right?
There aren't really any stiles and rails because there isn't a central panel to float within a framework. But what there is a main panel made up of one wide pieces at each outside edge ~40 mm thick and two middle boards ~20 mm thick - the width of these four boards together make up a panel 1,100 mm wide. This panel does need to float to accommodate seasonal expansion and contraction, so each end of this panel is joined to the 40 mm thick end clamps (typically known as breadboard ends in American parlance) as illustrated in the photographs, i.e., three tenons into three mortices with the central M&T glued and the outer tenons floating unglued, but dowelled in overlong mortices.

Hope that helps. Slainte.

Back