Which CSMS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for the best Compound Sliding Mitre Saw I can buy for a budget of about £500.00. I know I can get the Hitachi 12" saw for £499.00 at various places but wonder what the forum recommendation might be.

The saw is for use in our Men's Shed and accuracy is important as is dust collection and volume of the motor as I know most of these things are quite noisy.

Any comments on what you use and/or would recommend would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

regards

Brian

Is personally go for a Bosch GCM GDL glide saw. The sliding mechanism on that is awesome.

Would need to get a second hand one to fit in budget though

I have the bosch axial glide that Matt is talking about (above). A lovely machine. Would I sell it for £500 ? Not a chance. :)

The best one I have had for accuracy and quality of cut, in that price range (£269), is the Charnwood 305DB. It has a 12 inch blade, and therefore a big cutting capacity, and with minimal tweaking I got very good results. Also, the guide bars project forward, so very little space is needed behind the saw. The dust collection however was appalling. Looks like they have an ex-display one at the moment for only £150!

http://charnwood.net/products/mitre-saws

Since then, I have treated myself to a Festool Kapex, which outclasses it in every way - although the dust collection is not as good as I expected given the praise it gets.

Thanks for the prompt replies. The Bosch certainly appears to be an excellent saw but is about 50% out of our price range. I had a quick search on eBay and there are no second hand ones currently available which would indicate that, like Grahamshed, people don't want to sell them, which tells us a lot about the saw.

I will have a look at the Charnwood but I have always considered their stuff to be budget equipment. What do others think?

I will keep searching.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2hzb88eg said:
Thanks for the prompt replies. The Bosch certainly appears to be an excellent saw but is about 50% out of our price range. I had a quick search on eBay and there are no second hand ones currently available which would indicate that, like Grahamshed, people don't want to sell them, which tells us a lot about the saw.

Consider it an investment! .. that's the excuse I always use.

It's a shame the Bosch glider saw doesn't come in a 10 inch version. I've seen it displayed in my local Axminster saw and it is bloody huge!

Interesting how this has gone straight to the more expensive saws.

I have used a Hitachi 12" CSMS in the building of wooden garage so plenty of 90 degree cuts, a few 45 degree.

I have found it to be like all Hitachi tools..as tough as old boots, accurate, easy to use, easy to move and easy to set up and check that it is still square.

Other tools offer the same some offer better "feel" but cost a lot more eg Kapex.

I would start with the Hitachi at the top of my list and then go down in price from there to see if I can get similar value elsewhere.

Bosch/Kapex/Makita provide expensive saws but often they do not provide better cuts and better results.

Failing that, I'd be looking at a dewalt, however you might struggle to get a brand new 12 inch saw that's any good for that budget. Most are about 600+

transatlantic":2mjrghxi said:
It's a shame the Bosch glider saw doesn't come in a 10 inch version. I've seen it displayed in my local Axminster saw and it is bloody huge!

A dealer told me some time ago that a 10 inch model was on the way - only in the states it seems: https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boscht ... d-48431-p/

Had a play with the big one at a show and was impressed by feel and the dust collection - one of the fe I've seen with the dust shute separate from the saw housing.

beech1948":63w10gh1 said:
Interesting how this has gone straight to the more expensive saws.

I have used a Hitachi 12" CSMS in the building of wooden garage so plenty of 90 degree cuts, a few 45 degree.

I have found it to be like all Hitachi tools..as tough as old boots, accurate, easy to use, easy to move and easy to set up and check that it is still square.

Other tools offer the same some offer better "feel" but cost a lot more eg Kapex.

I would start with the Hitachi at the top of my list and then go down in price from there to see if I can get similar value elsewhere.

Bosch/Kapex/Makita provide expensive saws but often they do not provide better cuts and better results.

Not sure what you mean, the Hitachi is not that much less

MattRoberts":63w10gh1 said:
A dealer told me some time ago that a 10 inch model was on the way

Good news!

I have a Makita LS 1013 and it has been great. Cost £500 ten years ago and it has never missed a beat. Weighs a ton and is very solidly built and accurate. Needs a fair bit of room behind if that is a consideration.

transatlantic":28siw20w said:
Consider it an investment! .. that's the excuse I always use.

I agree to a point as I have always felt that you should buy the best you can afford at the time. At this time we only have £500.00 to spend so no matter what we buy it HAS to fit within that budget. We only have a a finite amount of money available which is part of a grant from the local Council. If some of our members had their way we would buy the cheapest of everything but we already did that with an 8" JCB saw from B&Q and we are regretting it now.

regards

Brian

+1 for the Makita ls1013. I use mine daily for site work. It's accurate for second fixing, and has enough power for cutting 9x2 joist. It's a 10" blade but will cut 12" from the fence. For your budget you're probably going to have to look at 10" saws. I've seen the Makita rated poorly for dust collection on some youtube videos though.

Below is a review I've watched, some of the saws aren't available here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCyTHsc5TBg

Ive got the older Makita 12" saw and a Dewalt. Ive worked with a friend who has the Bosch GCM GDL.

The makita has definitely been my favorite, but i've used the newer one and it has the double sliding mechanism and that seems to have a lot more play in it than it should for a new saw.

The Dewalt is more solidly built than the other two but not as user friendly. Trickier to set to accurate angle cuts.

Found the Bosch to be a bit inaccurate on the angle cuts.

If you're planning to use a lot on site and throw it about a bit i'd opt for the dewalt.
For more precision work i like the makita but dont think it would hold up to being knocked around too much. think the older Makita was built a bit tougher.

I recently bought the Bosch GCM12 SDE which is only just over £500.00. I am very happy with it. I could not justify spending more :-( The dust collection is OK some does escape. The only adjustment needed out of the box was the angle setting which was less than a degree out and simple to adjust.

I've got a Makita LS1018 which is the newer version of the much loved LS1013 mentioned above. I've had it a few years and found it to be great. Loads of capacity, dead accurate and very stable. Also within budget of the OP. If I had to buy a replacement I'd get another without thinking.

transatlantic":shumd5rj said:
MattRoberts":shumd5rj said:

Good news!

Sorry - I think what I meant was that I had been told that some time ago but as yet there was no sign of it except in the states - ie don't hold your breath for one in UK.

PS: Not sure how you got my quote tagged to Matt?

geoffshep":bxk2rsfw said:
transatlantic":bxk2rsfw said:
MattRoberts":bxk2rsfw said:

Good news!

Sorry - I think what I meant was that I had been told that some time ago but as yet there was no sign of it except in the states - ie don't hold your breath for one in UK.

PS: Not sure how you got my quote tagged to Matt?

woops! ... I blame Matt

Ah well, I don't plan on buying one anytime soon.

Edit : wow - I didn't realise the Bosch glide is ~4 years old! ... thought it was fairly new. I guess a 10 inch model is unlikely then :(

Back