What's the deal with Abranet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've not used it myself yet but I keep bumping into threads where people are raving about it. I've read the marketing shpeel but what do people really think and why please?

I think it's excellent. I've used the hand sanding block which comes with a hose to connect to a vacuum cleaner. The abrasives stay sharp and wear well with absolutely no clogging and no dust in the workshop. Simple and affordable.

I agree with Andy, it's an excellent abrasive. The one thing I will stipulate is that it only works well with an extractor.

I agree with both comments above - it cuts really well and needs extraction to work properly. One word of caution - it removes a lot of material in a short space of time if you aren't careful, so keeping surfaces flat requires care. Only downside I would highlight is how noisy it can be with the vac running, particulalry if you use the "bleed valve" arrangement (that reduces the suction or the block down onto the workpiece). I've found it too aggressive to use on lacquer finishes, but that may just be because I'm spraying v thin coatings. It's certainly my "go to" choice for first/second cut on large areas - enables them to be done without recourse to ROS. Hope that's of some use.

Cheers
John

jkljosh":2utmqwci said:
I agree with both comments above - it cuts really well and needs extraction to work properly. One word of caution - it removes a lot of material in a short space of time if you aren't careful, so keeping surfaces flat requires care. Only downside I would highlight is how noisy it can be with the vac running, particulalry if you use the "bleed valve" arrangement (that reduces the suction or the block down onto the workpiece). I've found it too aggressive to use on lacquer finishes, but that may just be because I'm spraying v thin coatings. It's certainly my "go to" choice for first/second cut on large areas - enables them to be done without recourse to ROS. Hope that's of some use.

Cheers
John
Thanks for all this folks

But just to clarify, you're all talking about a by hand approach right? Obviously if you're denibbing between coats of finish but generally you're saying it cuts so fast you don't use a ros on large surfaces?

I use it for denibbing between coats of lacquer usually 320g on the ros . My only complaint is that it can tear quite easily if using it on framed doors or frames otherwise I'm happy with it.

Cheers

Jon

Sorry to hijack this thread but would a Henry Hoover be suitable extraction if used with their heap bags?

MrYorke":33ntbl9i said:
Sorry to hijack this thread but would a Henry Hoover be suitable extraction if used with their heap bags?

Yes. Ideal for the purpose!

We use it all the time in the workshop on Mirka hand extracted blocks either 70x125 or 70x 198 for bigger work. Try using the block at 30 degrees rather than straight you get a better finish as the woven backings warp and weft can produce scratch patterns. It is much quicker cutting than flat paper based abrasives so as said before be careful you will go through veneer quickly or use 150 rather than 120 standard paper. It is really great when sanding contrasting veneers to keep them both clean without any colour contamination.

We do also use it on the ROS but always use a pad saver or you will wear out the Velcro on the sander and have to buy a new pad (£30) be careful using it on very open timbers like Ash or Oak as you may find it eats the spring growth timber quicker than the summer growth and leave the surface uneven.

I would not buy the Eco stuff it is not so good and set to be discontinued so I am told, if it does get clogged up tap it out or wash it under the tap and dry it out. Of cause it is available from all good tool shops :wink:

I wrote a small article for British woodworking a couple of years ago
http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... spart2.pdf

I just remembered that I used my Abranet hand sanding block on some new plaster once around the edge of a ceiling (with the coarsest grade) - it made what would have been a horrible, overhead job next to my face into a quick and easy dust-free one.

Back