ELU EBS-3401 A1 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tervueren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, new user here and I'd like to thank you for all the info I've gleaned looking through the forums. I've never owned a bandsaw before and after reading lots of threads on here I'd all but made my mind up to buy the RP300 when I was offered the ELU for very few beer tokens, it's basically in good condition but after stripping it down to clean years of crud from it noticed that the rear guide bushes were grooved and needed replacing, I know that this is quite a well regarded machine here so before I go and buy replacements i wondered if anyone else had managed to upgrade the upper and lower guide mechanisms to roller bearings on this or the DeWalt equivalent. While I'm here a big thanks to everyone for pointing me in the direction of Tuffsaw, Ian sorted me out with a mix of blades very quickly and I can't wait to get the saw sorted and start using them.
John

Hmm over a hundred views with no reply, have I posted this in the wrong section for advice ? No matter lol impatience got the better of me and I've ordered original spec new guides and bearings which should hopefully arrive on Monday , I can then get down to some serious play time :D
Next on my wanted list is some sort of dust control, price would need to be on the low side, having just built my workshop and setting things up my good lady is getting slightly edgy watching tools arrive and money depart :|

IIRC this machine originally has blocks for guides rather than bearings. I used to have one, and I swapped the steel blocks for Cool Blocks (Tufnol, I think). They worked very well and there was never any danger of catching the teeth of the blade.
If you want to fit bearing you will have to change the whole assembly.

Dust extraction is THE most important part of your workshop. DO NOT skimp on it. Your lungs cant cope with wood dust, its even worse than cigarette smoke in my opinion.
Check out the lung disease COPD (just one of several dust related ways to ruin your life).

Some people do renovate the little old saws with new ball bearing style guides but it really isn't worth the effort on these little machines. I recently renovated a little Elu EBS3601 (The bigger model) bandsaw for a friend and made the top and bottom guides up from scratch as the originals had snapped. By the end of it, it ended up costing around £100 even on mates rates. There were £30 of bearings, at least £20 of aluminium, £5 of silver steel, another couple of quid of hardware and a lot of time since everything was hand hacksawed, filed and turned. Really wasn't worth the effort or the money but he insisted very much.

pWIvRae.jpg

xTYJ54D.jpg

Thanks both for the replies, that looks a very professional job Trev.
I've been looking at a cyclone "Dust Commander" fitted to a drum, any thoughts on these, noise, effectiveness ?

Tervueren":1ro1z80y said:
Thanks both for the replies, that looks a very professional job Trev.
I've been looking at a cyclone "Dust Commander" fitted to a drum, any thoughts on these, noise, effectiveness ?

I have one of these (or similar) fitted to a Numatic NVD 750 which I use as a general shop and powertool vac. It provides a huge amount of 'suckage' and if you get too close to the thing, it'll suck out your wisdom teeth :lol: I use a small, airtight fish food container (about ordinary bucket size) which isn't ideal but works well provided it's emptied fairly regularly. If the collection bucket gets too full, the detritus will get sucked into the bag inside the Numatic - Rob

Pmsl, thanks Rob, there was one for sale just up the road from me, fingers crossed it's still there

Back