How do they do it for the price?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought and had delivered a Portable Glue Roller. It's a nice piece of kit, solid and well made. I shall look forward to using it on an upcoming veneering project.

The thing is, it cost just £18.39 including postage & packing and was shipped from Hong Kong!

I know about economies of scale, but this was actually shipped in an individual package from Hong Kong!

How do they do it?

Did I mention that it came all the way from Hong Kong!?

because the most expensive part of it will be the postage. the actual tool will cost pennies to make, so if the postage costs 10 quid they are still making a profit.

note: they also aim to make a profit of 20-30% rather than a profit of 80-120%

I can understand why the shipping over here would be so cheap, but I can't understand how they then get it delivered by post/courier to your address for so cheap. Especially when it's something you have bought on ebay for £1 with free postage ???

Also, I may have missed it, but you didn't mention where your product came from? :p

The rules of trade for the former hong kong territories are slightly different to the rest of mainland china as per the hand over agreement and only nationalised industries are subsidised if I remember correctly. But postage for business is far cheaper overseas generally. I remember sending a lot of stuff back to the UK and getting 2 different prices from the same company, one from the UK office and one from their agent in Oman the price difference was £14 per kg. Guess who was more expensive.

Geoff, any chance of the details of where you got the spreader?

I looked at getting the 6inch version of this so will be interested to see how it performs. I bought a used 3inch pfohl which is fantastic, still very expensive though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I believe there is also an issue that most of these direct imports from China do not pay VAT and import duty.If you order from America there is a £15.00 approx handling fee as well as the VAT and duty.

ColeyS1":1t1aa3qg said:
I looked at getting the 6inch version of this so will be interested to see how it performs. I bought a used 3inch pfohl which is fantastic, still very expensive though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just had a look at the Pfohl. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Geoff_S":x5hp5tes said:
I've just bought and had delivered a Portable Glue Roller. It's a nice piece of kit, solid and well made. I shall look forward to using it on an upcoming veneering project.

The thing is, it cost just £18.39 including postage & packing and was shipped from Hong Kong!

I know about economies of scale, but this was actually shipped in an individual package from Hong Kong!

How do they do it?

Did I mention that it came all the way from Hong Kong!?

communism :D

In terms of how cheap something can be, I just found one of these on Aliexpress for the equivalent of £13.26 with free shipping. Didn't look extensively, just searched for "glue roller" and looked at the first page of results.

ED65":2az66hf1 said:
In terms of how cheap something can be, I just found one of these on Aliexpress for the equivalent of £13.26 with free shipping. Didn't look extensively, just searched for "glue roller" and looked at the first page of results.

But I paid £18.39. I've been done!

Back