How old are your suppliers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I don't mean the spotty oik behind the counter at B+Q (heaven forfend!).

Bristol Post, our daily rag, which used to be the half-decent Bristol Evening Post (but isn't even printed here any more!), is often short of news these days (it doesn't seem to have any journalists now, either), so it often turns to history.

This week it's got a list of local firms still trading, which are all are more than 100 years old. There are three woodworking suppliers on the list:

• Scaddings,
  • Robbins,
  • Gardiner Haskins (not as relevant now though - they used to manufacture hardware in Bristol, but still sell DIY tools & materials (with home furnishings etc. - old-style department store).

So I wondered about your local firms - any of those respectably old?

E.

PS: Classically the Post included one firm, Parnall & Sons, which Wikipedia says went into receivership in 1991 (Post not known for its accuracy!). Huge shame, as they made aircraft for WWII and outfitted luxury liners. But they'd have been a customer of high-quality woodwork, rather than a supplier.

My local timber yard A J Ferguson were established 'during the great war' so potentially 100 years old, or close to it. And Moss & Co were established 1885, though they moved from their old place in Hammersmith not so long back.

Pete

My local tip was opened in 1963 and that's where I source most of my timber.
I buy a lot of 'big' hardware from our local farm supplies which was founded in 1904.
I use the 'Woodscrew Supply Company' (a.k.a. Screwfix). They started in 1979.

Back