'Tis a thing of beauty......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Thought I had received my secret Santa parcel..... But no, it was the Clifton 5 ½ plane the is being circulated very kindly by Peter Sefton.

A bit of background. I have a couple of old no name type planes, serviceable, work ok for what I do with them, which is limited due to me not knowing much about plane use and fettling. I'm sure they are in the £20 to £30 sort of range. So to receive this beautiful work of art to try was a real bonus, and eye opener. It really is easier to use a tool that is well designed, beautifully made, and feels good in the hand. It was sharp out of the box. Maybe not scary sharp, but adequate. Good thing really, because I didn't feel qualified to sharpen it, and really didn't want to damage the iron given that it isn't mine. Sorry to the next man, but it's still pretty sharp.
It is heavy, but then again, it's a big plane. I tried it on some tricky woods, well, tricky to me, and it worked wonders, with nice long streamers coming out. However, on scrubby little cuts, just cutting little bits off the top of ruts, the mouth clogged up quite readily. If it was mine, I would open the top of the mouth a little.
A few other minor points, but valid when paying so much for a plane..... The front knob has a proud brass screw that does take the skin off your hand. I would either sink it in or smooth off the top a bit. The rear handle is not big. My hands are average size and only just fit. A minor point. Also, the edges were highly polished, looks great, but in one or two places, there were marks where the casting was a little lower. Not a big thing, but noticeable. I had no problem with the colour, but then again, I don't have a green one.

All in all, I would love one, but couldn't possibly afford it. It was a good prompt for the wife to have it there though! Too much for our budget I fear. Roll on secret Santa.........
Many thanks to Peter Sefton. I'll pass it on soon, but parcel mayhem at the moment. I've just been delivered a parcel for a house in the next village with the same name. Now if it was really heavy, I might have opened it........

NickWelford":1uyr1mdi said:
The front knob has a proud brass screw that does take the skin off your hand. I would either sink it in or smooth off the top a bit.

There are usually some washers under the brass screw head. You can remove one or two of them to lower the height of the brass screw head.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back