Thewlis pincers - and a bit of Thewlis history.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
During a spell of vintage tool acquisition a couple of years ago, a pair of pincers by Thewlis & Co came my way.

I own two other pairs of pincers; both 6" pairs, one bought new in the 1980s, and one older, which I may have inherited. Neither pair are much to write home about. The inherited pair are rather lightweight, and stamped "British Made". The 1980s pair have plastic covered handles, and the jaws are ground such that they grip in the middle of the forging rather than at the outside edge; they are all but useless.

The Thewlis pair on the other hand are 8" long, and about twice as heavy. The jaws grip at the outside edge, and the handles have a nice curve to them that makes them quite comfortable in the hand, even when being used hard. One handle ends in a flattened split making a sort of tack-lifter, the other in a strange cone-like 'thing'. The finish is 'workmanlike' - not very polished, but no burrs or lumps where they'd hurt the hands, and the jaws meet nicely. I was using them not long ago whilst dismantling some old fence panels, and they worked very effectively.

From somewhere, I knew that Thewlis were a Warrington firm, but I knew nothing more about them, except that the name crops up from time to time on vintage tools - the solid old-type dividers being one example. Last night, I whiled away a couple of hours seeing what Google could unearth about them.

Well - not very much. Apparently, the firm was founded in 1813, and at some point (maybe from the start) was known as Thewlis and Griffith.

There seems to be some info about a chap called Shaw Thewlis, born 1814 in Huddersfield, who became a significant figure in the public life of Warrington - he was Mayor in 1865-66, and there's a Thewlis Street near Bank Quay. In the 1881 census, Shaw Thewlis is stated as age 57 (I think that should be 67 - read on!), occupation "Alderman and Magistrate, File and Tool Manufacturer employing 65 men, 5 boys and 2 girls". A report from the Warrington Guardian about the sale of his sideboard tells that he died in 1885 in his early 70s, and in his will left a legacy of £500 for 'the aged poor of Warrington'. He was remembered as a very kind man, apparently.

A 'Useful Registered Design' of 1848 gives the firm's address as 'Phoenix Iron and Tool Works, Warrington, Cheshire' [sic - Warrington was in Lancashire at the time, and many people say it still is!] but frustratingly, no street name. The application was for a Churn, as in dairy equipment. I've also seen Ebay listings for railway carriage keys by the firm, too - so their product range was eclectic.

The trail then goes cold, until a Grace's Guide entry for Herbert Plumpton (including George Plumpton, Thewlis Griffith and Edelsten Ltd, and the Lancashire Tool Company), becoming incorporated into Sheffield Steel Products in 1920.

Thus - two questions. (Well - more than two, really!)

1) What is the cone thing for on pincer handles?

2) Can anybody offer any more information about Thewlis? They were clearly a long-established firm, of medium size, with a varied product range. They couldn't have been formed by Shaw Thewlis - maybe his father? When did the firm become defunt, or their trademark cease to be used? Who were Griffith and Edelsten?

I always assumed the ball was a kind of general peening/punch feature. Nip off a nail head turn it round and tap the nail with a hammer type of thing. I'm probably wrong though. :|

Bm101":xxhb8eps said:
I always assumed the ball was a kind of general peening/punch feature. Nip off a nail head turn it round and tap the nail with a hammer type of thing. I'm probably wrong though. :|

Well, it's as good a theory as we've got at the moment!

Viewing a few pictures of pincers on the internet (I live a full and exciting life, as you can no doubt tell), most examples seem to have plain-ended handles, with a fair few having one handle ending in a tack-lifter, and the other in a blob. My Thewlis pair have a tack-lifter on one and a sort of bell shape or cone on the end of the other.

So it seems that one can have pincer handles with a plain end, a knob on the end, or a bell on the end. :shock:

Hello,

Does anyone know the difference between Tower pattern and Lancashire pattern pincers? I assume the Thewliss ones you have would be Lancashire?

I thought it was differences in Shoulder design but am just guessing. Any type seem to have the ball and claw or plain ends, so it is not that. Kingshott shows two patterns in his book, but the photos are not referenced distinctly. It alludes to Tower having rounded shoulders and Lancashire having pointed or winged shoulders. However an internet search does not clarify this, though trends towards it verifying what I assume kingshott shows. However, I found a reference in Casells which show Lancashire pattern having no shoulders at all, but closer to the rounded shoulders than the winged ones! Am i barking up the wrong tree and there is something else that differentiated the patterns? Should I get out more?

CC what are the Thewliss ones like, and would they be an exemplar example of Lancashire pattern? The Marples ones you reference seem to be Tower pattern, if it has anything to do with the shoulders.

Mike.

I've got several pairs of old pincers and have always wondered what the round ball at the end was for. Unless it was a safety feature.
Anybody know?

Rod

Tower pincers with claw and ball ends, and Lancashire pincers (with claw and cone ends), as shown in the S Tyzack & Son catalogue No 640 (c1938)
I've no idea of the manufacturer's purpose of the ball or cone, but I've assumed Owner's choice; and the ball is for bonking, and the cone is for poking.
img004.jpg

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2,134
Hello,

OK, that seems clear, it just gets confusing when more modern pincers have plain ends an still get called tower pattern.

The example in the lower picture has winged shoulders. The terminal is not a sharp cone nor is as fully round as the ball type. Which pattern would we say that is. The examples in Kingshott had indistinct terminals too, which is why I thought the pattern had to do with the shoulders. I think this catalogue illustration makes things clearer, though not necessarily what the shapes are for.

Mike.

Mine are made by WILKINSON G, with a circle underneath and a letter inside I havent deciphered yet.
IMG_1797_zpst8e8tgol.jpg

The round end serves the same purpose as a ball ended handlebar lever.
When levering a nail out with the claw end, your hand is fully on the other lever and the ball is a safety stop to prevent your hand slipping off..

If the ball was to stop your hand slipping off, why are there models without balls or with cones instead? There must be a purpose to the ball/cone since there is a purpose to the claw.

Theres good pincers, and theres cheap pincers.

My daddy told me that when I was still in primary school. Nobody has ever disproved him.

I've been doing a bit more rummaging.

R.A.Salaman in his 'Dictionary of Woodworking Tools' lists four types of pincer; Tower pincers (Sunnybob's are a classic example), Shouldered or French pattern pincers (the square shoulders or wings shown as the lower pair in Kwigley's catalogue extract), Lancashire pattern, and Boxed pincers - which are rather like a 'refined' Lancashire pattern with plain handle ends, very rounded jaws and a box joint like best quality pliers have.

My Thewlis pincers are classic Lancashire pattern.

An old catalogue from RCF Tools (summer 1976) lists 'Carpenter's Ball and Claw Pincers' in three sizes (6", 7" and 8") by two different makers (Elliott Lucas and Taurus). The illustration is of Tower pattern, and the description states, "Designed for removing nails with a 'rolling' action. Incorporates tough gripping jaws, a well formed claw for tack lifting and ball ends for swaging."

So there we have it - the ball end is for swaging. Now, I can't think of a woodworking operation or task that involves swaging, so maybe it's for another trade? One thing I associate swaging with (apart from blacksmithing) is working the end of a piece of pipe or tube to increase or reduce its diameter, perhaps to allow one piece of pipe to slip into another; so, plumbing, perhaps, in the old days of lead pipes; or gas-fitting in the days of gas lighting? Mind you, I'm not quite sure exactly how you'd accomplish that with the ball-end of a pincer handle. Any gas fitters or plumbers present?

-------

I've also discovered that Thewlis also made handcuffs; http://handcuffs.org/g/index.php?mode=7 - scroll about three-quarters of the way down. Apparently, there's an internet forum solely devoted to handcuffs - http://handcuffs.org/ :shock:

--------

So now we've had a knob on the end, a bell on the end, cleavage, ball ends, bonking, poking and handcuffs. You'll never look at a pair of pincers in quite the same way again, will you! :lol:

Hello,

Cobblers!

I mean old style shoe cobblers used pincers an awful lot more than woodworkers, I would suggest, so might have had a large influence on their design. Could swaging be associated with leather work in shoes?

Mike.

woodbrains":3n532x6m said:
Hello,

Cobblers!

I mean old style shoe cobblers used pincers an awful lot more than woodworkers, I would suggest, so might have had a large influence on their design. Could swaging be associated with leather work in shoes?

Mike.

Could be for working on eyelets.

Certainly not for lead piping. I worked lead piping as an apprentice and never saw any small enough to open up bigger using that ball end.
The end on mine is spherical, and barely 10 mm in diameter. Completely useless as a swaging tool.

I'm still with it being a ball ended lever for nail removal.

sunnybob":1bn6ghs1 said:
Certainly not for lead piping. I worked lead piping as an apprentice and never saw any small enough to open up bigger using that ball end.
The end on mine is spherical, and barely 10 mm in diameter. Completely useless as a swaging tool.

I'm still with it being a ball ended lever for nail removal.

Right - in that case, we can cross off plumbing as a possible use, though we've still got cobblers to eliminate....

One thing that does occur is that it might just be a decoration, a visual balance to the tack-lifter on the other handle. Rather like the nib at the toe-end of saws (OK - I know that one's a bit controversial - no thread diversions about it, please!) or the rings turned on some chisel handles. Thus, you have a cleavage on the one hand, and a ball on the other - and you thought the Victorians were so straight-laced, didn't you!

Back