Tax on Australian Goods?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutzul

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I hear through the grapevine that some goods are bought from Australia, so what's the tax position / legalised robbery take on this please ? :?:

I am thinking of getting some stuff from Australia, free postage if ordering £40+. Does anyone know what extra costs are please. :?:

Gonna be a waste of time and money if vat etc is due !

I think, over £17, you are supposed to pay import duty.
Depending on who you are buying from & what they put on the box (value of goods inside) will depend on whether you get away with it.
Tis a chance you take I suppose.

same as USA, or indeed anywhere outside of the EU.

VAT on the price, including postage, import duty if over a small amount and handling fee of (IIRC) £8-£10.

This may help http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-impor ... lculation/

I am not sure if the authorities are as "hot" on Australia as the USA. And for some reason China/Honk Kong seem to get away with marking everything that I have ever bought as a sample- no matter how big etc. Technically though there is duty to pay on goods from all of these countries.

£0 - £15.00 no import duty or VAT due

£15.01 - £135.00 no import duty but VAT chargeable

£135.01+ import duty and VAT due (but duty waived in less than £9).

The consignor should complete a declaration on the package which details the goods and the value. It then depends whether this is selected at the postal depot on import.
So work out the worst possible scenario (and remember Post Office / Parcelforce handling fees) before deciding on VfM.

If recent experience is anything to go by then customs are hot of things from Australia, Both my brother and I got charged on xmas presents sent from Australia for our families.

J

Back