Spokeshave Help, please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, Folks.
Not been on here since April, I've been mainly riding my motorbike, and major down-sizing at home, Diy and decorating, carpets etc and generally spending my children's inheritance.

As I am unable to post pics at the moment, I'll try and describe what I am after
I have a round bottom Stanley spokeshave but need the cap iron and blade.
I need to identify the model or type, please, so I can get the Cap Iron and adjustable blade.
The spokeshave is black, with the gold stanley label, has two screws for the blade depth projection and has c 1371 stamped under the cap screw and 30 under that. The blade width is 55mm.
Thanks in advance, Rodders

How about also getting a flat bottomed one, same make and style. Then you can change the blade and cap from one to the other as the need arises.

Otherwise keep an eye out on ebay or similar for spare bits.

Just bin it and buy another one. They aren't expensive. Spares as such are rare and likely to cost more than a complete replacement

It's the 151R.
Just buy another. But know that if the shave skitters on the wood a lot it's not your fault. 151R does that unless the curve you're cutting very closely matches the curve of the sole.
Get a flat 151 if you can. Or a No.53 with a different adjustment mechanism (not necessarily better, just a matter of preference). They work acceptably on concave curves. You could file the leading and trailing edges of the sole round, leaving a shorter flat section immediately before and after the blade. This way you have a shave that can do tighter concaves yet doesn't skitter on convex work.

Many thanks for the replies and knowledge Folks, as I suspected, hardly worth the spares cost.
I'll get on the dreaded flea bay and buy another, as suggested.
Regards Rodders.

blackrodd":36hzmcr9 said:
Many thanks for the replies and knowledge Folks, as I suspected, hardly worth the spares cost.
I'll get on the dreaded flea bay and buy another, as suggested.
Regards Rodders.
Dozens of them out there. I wouldn't pay more than a fiver perhaps. Get several. Keep the one you've got as sooner or later you'll come across one with a broken casting though this may take years!

Back