Source of infill bodies or kits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
There has been some interest in castings for infill planes, inspired by Jimi's bootfair treasure and stunning craftsmanship.

I mentioned that castings are still available, and this morning I popped into Bristol Design to check up on what they had.

They certainly do sell castings, in bronze, which you can have straight from the sand: these are for a Norris-style smoother and a shoulder plane:

IMG_3583.jpg

This is what the smoother looks like finished:

IMG_3584.jpg

I've not got all the details - after all this post is to help you guys find things, not as an advert - but looking at the shoulder plane, the casting straight from the sand is £37; with preliminary machining done and a steel sole it's £85; or as a complete kit including blade and wood it's £115.

Although Charles Stirling has been trading there for over 25 years, he doesn't really have a web presence - so phone up and ask if you want more info.

And none of the castings has ears! I think they must be a deliberate design feature.

Andy...that is FANTASTIC research...you are a star!

I am sure there will be much interest in these castings and at those raw prices...well there will be great demand IMHO!

HA! The mysterious ears! Did you speak to Chris about mine?

Clearly that is almost identical except for the ears and if they are not casting tabs then I will definitely be keeping them.

I would be interested to hear his view.

Jim

Unfortunately Charles was not in the shop and his Saturday boy does not have the same experience - but I will try and catch him and ask.

Good god. I've just looked up on google where bristol design is. It's just down the road from my brothers house! I've walked past the place, half cut, more time than I should mention.

I can see my next visit to bro having a detour...
:D
Pete

Andy,
Thanks for taking the trouble to find out and let us know.

If someone out there has made a plane from one of these castings please tell us about your experience.

I'm planning on going down to Brizol in the next few weeks...so then I'll need wood for the infill - any preferences or suggestions please?

I have lots of Jarrah, Teak & I think a bit of Mahogany...are these any good?

On another thread for wooden bodied planes I was told about hornbeam & apple.. are these good choices?

The main need for infill wood is stability. So as old as possible. Traditional was Walnut, followed by Rosewood and box. In later years Norris switched to Beech with black crud on it.

Mahogany is usually found in 'user made' infills. I don't think I've seen a profesh plane with it used as infills; that's not to say there's anything wrong with it.

Modern makers use all sorts of different woods (see Konrad's blog) but whatever, the important thing is it really has to be old with little chance of shrinking.

I have a drive full of Crab Apple at the moment that you are welcome to have a mooch through but it is still green as an jealous novice.

If you come to Mactimbers in July we can probably find something very good.

Thanks for the kind offer Richard..I've got all the ingredients to build a Sauno kiln (except time) so green or not so old shouldn't be such an issue as long as I can get the shceduling correct (easier said than done).

I thought I'd missed the Mactimbers event.. I'll try very hard to free up the timeto go.

Back