Sorby large bowl turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popkorn

Reaction score
Hi, I am on a mission to find a Sorby large bowl turning extension arm. Sadly these items are now no longer made and I missed the chance to buy one when I first bought my lathe (many years ago now).
If anyone knows where one can be found, or if anyone has one and can provide size specs to enable me to make one I would appreciate it.
Look forward to a reply in hope, but not expectation.
John

Attachments

• Sorby Large Bowl.gif
    Sorby Large Bowl.gif
    196.8 KB · Views: 979
Based on an assessment of that design I would be say it may not be all that rigid and stable.

I think you would be better off making a floor standing tool rest support, the tool loads will then be transmitted down into a solid support rather than trying to twist that cantilevered construct.

The other option which may be a thought but I am not sure if it would work ither that the idea Chas made of a floor standing rest is would a record power one be adapted to fit as theirs is also for twin bar system. The main thing with record power is it is designed to also be a foot and support for the lathe.

Mine came with one, just did a couple of shots for you. I've no idea what details you need, but happy to measure if you can say what you need to know. It's 53 cm long in total.
_MG_6991.jpg

_MG_6990.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• _MG_6991.jpg
    _MG_6991.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 911
  • _MG_6990.jpg
    _MG_6990.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 911
Hi Chris, outstanding. Any measurements you can provide would be great, width of arm, thickness, slot width, angle, angled length, length over bars, length from bars.
My son is a toolmaker (unfortunately in Canada) and has said he would make it up for me so any and all measurements would be helpful. I will send them plus your photos to him and he will take it from there, worry about shipping costs later, ha.
Thanks
John

No problem John - I'll get onto it in the morning and post up as much as I can.

John
Measurements are to the nearest mm (to the best of my ability!). Two problems - I don't have a protractor here to measure the angle, but maybe you can measure on the picture? - if not, tell me and I'll steal one back from the kids; I have no idea how to measure beyond the curves along the length! Maybe a bit of geometry will help with that? The total height (side view) is 90mm.
If the pics and details aren't enough to go on for either of these problems, I can trace the profile on paper and send it to you. Let me know if there are other measurements you need (the grooves to attach to the bars should be the same as the ones you already have on the bit that attaches to the bars).
_MG_7007.jpg

_MG_7008.jpg

C

Attachments

• _MG_7007.jpg
    _MG_7007.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 846
  • _MG_7008.jpg
    _MG_7008.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 846
Chris, again many thanks, I will pass on the dimensions to my son and see if he has enough info, anything else and I will come back to you if you don't mind.
Regards
John

John - it occurred to me that he'll need this measurement, too:
_MG_7016.jpg

that's the flange at the bottom of the hollow, into which the arm you already have clamps.
C

Attachments

• _MG_7016.jpg
    _MG_7016.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 772
I have one of these, I have no plans to use it and I might can sell it, what sort of price were you hoping to pay and how close are you to Tamworth, Staffs, regards roy

CHJ":2fvgtylq said:
Based on an assessment of that design I would be say it may not be all that rigid and stable.

I think you would be better off making a floor standing tool rest support, the tool loads will then be transmitted down into a solid support rather than trying to twist that cantilevered construct.
John - based on my limited experience (I'm just learning - this is my second attempt to use the extension) - Chas is not wrong. There is vibration through the setup as I have it. So I put a piece of pine in to see if it helped and it makes a difference, really solid now. I've not used a floor-standing rest so can't say if it'd be better, but I can't imagine it would. Hope that doesn't confuse things!
IMG_1325.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 613
My comments about going for a Floor standing Rest were on the assumption that if money had to be spent and/or time and effort put into making a rest.
I would then consider making a Floor standing construct easier, cheaper and ultimately as, if not more, flexible in usability.
I was aware that several commercial outrigger Tool Rests on larger lathes use a floor stay to add rigidity just as achieved with the wood stay.

Again thanks Chris, I will take on board both comments. Just waiting on a reply from a possible seller and if successful will experiment. Looking at your photo I can now see the concern, quite a length, and I can see the need for a support. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Back