Simple oak box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Finished this simple oak box yesterday.

4246719175_46a751a093.jpg

Its for the misses to keep all her crochet needles and bits in. (hence squiddly dudley sat next to it)

4247494834_2fbef3a366.jpg

Oak box from a sketch on the back of an envelope.

4203955562_9ae3845678.jpg

Not sure what the lid is, possibly iroko or something,

Oil and wax finish.

Its not too bad, but I tried some sanding sealer and chestnut 22 on a test piece yesterday and I think that looks much nicer.

Also I didnt notice till I put the finish on that I didn't remove all of the score marks where I made the dovetails. I can see why mike uses a pencil now!

4246722023_97390a7d22.jpg

I used some very small (3mm x 1mm) rare earth magnets epoxied into the lid and the front face. But after careful marking up, I managed to drill the holes slightly off centre (in opposite directions) so their power is greatly reduced now.

4247497588_f12ceb7722.jpg

The oak was from an old plan chest that was knackered. Re-sawed off both faces using my fantastic new Kreg fence with micro adjuster! :D

The top was from a piece of something I picked up at a reclamation yard.

I haven't used a handle as functionally it doesn't need one, but maybe aesthetically it could do with something. But I put a chamfer on the bottom edge of the lid to add some interest and allow the thumb to catch it when opening.

I plan on making a lot more boxes, but I'm pleased with my first finished effort. Lots of lessons learnt.

Yes, those dovetails look very nice and I like the magnet idea.

Have you used small wooden dowel pins to allow the top to pivot?

Cheers guys.

I used brass nails wit the heads cut off and filed down.

Pre drilled the holes with a slighty smaller drill bit and didnt go all the way, then tapped the nails home and put a drop of wax on the end as it went into the side. Cant see them coming out any time soon, but it has a nice action.

More by luck than design, the lid stays open at a nice angle too.

I got the magnets from ebay. Pack of 20 for £4 delivered. They are amazingly strong.

Brass nails??? :shock: Where did you get those from?

Thanks for the tip on sourcing magnets as well.

ha actually come to think of it, they were a different colour when I cut them. Probably steel coated with brass??

Anyway, they work ;-)

Cheers Philly

Latest posts

Back