Sheet Velcro Abrasive cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Being a one for watching the pennies I cut my nominal 50mm pads from sheet stock.
Having spent half hour this afternoon sorting some of the spare stock I thought folks might be interested in how I make sure I don't skew cut and end up with that remaining strip that's just a tad small for the pad.
Always one to measure once and for all and make a simple jig, I made up a simple marking sheet out of a bit of Plexiglas.

To do similar with Plexiglas or Ply mark out your sample abrasive and use this to drill a series of small pencil guide holes in the template.
DSCN4736.JPG

Use the template to spot through to new sheet with a pencil.
DSCN4744.JPG

If you want, join the dots.
DSCN4741.JPG

I store my template in the abrasives bin.
DSCN4743.JPG

The front lift out flap just stops too much debris finding its way in, it's close to the headstock.
DSCN4742.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4736.JPG
    DSCN4736.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 997
  • DSCN4744.JPG
    DSCN4744.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 997
  • DSCN4741.JPG
    DSCN4741.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 997
  • DSCN4743.JPG
    DSCN4743.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 997
  • DSCN4742.JPG
    DSCN4742.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 997
You're way too organised Chas :lol:

I bash mine out with a punch and lump hammer (hammer)

Might try cutting them square next time though as I have read that there is no need for them to be round in practice ?

Cheers, Paul

That's a great idea. I always try to buy mine in the 150mm wide strips as I find that I can get 2 x 75mm, 3 x 50mm or 4 x 37.5. so I could see a template like this being very handy.

Below is how I cut a .5m x .150 sheet

simonhope_zpse4bace20.jpg

paulm":ah4g2ifr said:
Might try cutting them square next time though as I have read that there is no need for them to be round in practice ?
In fact Paul, when abrading inside boxes and bowls the 'wings' seem to offer an advantage at times.
And even at times the four corners of a 'used' piece can be beneficially used to get in that odd nook or cranny.

Back