Selling woodwork - legal measures?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":1ih8qkau said:
A simple tag sent with the bowl;
"This product is for decorative purposes only. No other use use is implied or advised".
And/or do a bit of research and find out if the materials you want to use are allergy safe. There's loads of info out there and there will be specific recommendations from HSE etc and makers/suppliers of materials
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving. ... f=3&t=6929
NB you are not looking for health clearance on each and every material - just for known hazards, which will narrow the field right down!

Chris, I notice you are Cardiff based, drop your local Business Wales office a call and have a chat with a start-up adviser. They may be able to get you on some free business advice courses to give you an idea of direction and requirement for this and related situations. It will also allow for a bit of networking with other small business startups. As others have said, liability insurance is not that expensive and worth getting - have a word with the NFU, by far the cheapest for this sort of thing based on my own experience.

Thanks fellas, some useful suggestions there.
TBH, I only did an update post as I thought it an important question and I'd looked into some of it since my first post, so thought I'd share - there are probably quite a few of us who think about making to sell and what it might entail. Goes without saying I'm just learning this as I go along. I now have public and product liability that I got for a good price with a-n (directed at artists, but covers crafts as well) up to £5m. And I'm also in the process of moving into a dedicated workshop up the road, so the household thing's not such an issue for me now.

shed9 - I'm based west of Cardiff and tried to get advice form a business adviser out this way but it never happened - for the reasons you give, I'll have a go at trying to meet someone in Business Wales in Cardiff. Thanks for the suggestion, I'd not thought of looking there.

C

Drop me a PM if you want a direct line to someone. I know the BW people fairly well and can cut a lot of the process out in finding someone.

It may come to nothing but for the sake of a phone call in the first instance, it's worth the effort in my opinion.

Back