Scraper Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
I love mine!

Scraper plane by Racers, on Flickr

Planing some Box today.
The Record 5 1/2 has the cap iron as close as possible and makes little broken shavings and the scraper crinkly long one on the same piece of Box.

Scraper V Plane by Racers, on Flickr

It leaves a very nice finish on the Box.

Pete

One of these is on my list of planes to get soon - I like card scrapers but I have RSI and they hurt my hands something fierce.

Unfortunately, they rarely crop up on ebay, and when they do they seem to sell for nigh on full price.

How do you find setting it up? Is the tap and try method easy?

Setting is easy, put it on a flat surface slacken the blade clamp press the top of the blade and it’s usually set.
Some times you need to tap it to get the blade parallel to the sole, the depth of cut can be taped or if you adjust the blade angle it deepens the cut.
One other advantage is no burnt thums.

I made it my self, the sides are welded to the base and other bits riveted together.

Scraper plane exploded by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

I made one a few years back, and Phil of Philly Planes made me a nice blade*. I find it much more convenient to just use that blade in my hands. I've spent the afternoon preparing some oak window boards by hand, and that blade finishes everything off after I'm done planing.

*45 degree bevel for those interested in that sort of thing.

Great work building that =D>

Also brilliant tool to have in the armoury in IME. I have messed around with a super close set cap irons but didn't find it as good or as easy to set up as a scraper plane.

Back