Saw Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just completed this saw bench. Its entirely based on the age old English form, although ironically it was an article by an American that inspired me to make it.

4316608410_7b6221f930.jpg

The article is here if you wish to follow it; http://popularwoodworking.com/article/t ... _sawbench/

I like to think that every project is a learning experience and this was no exception;

1. I have never used drawboring before, but I now see it is a highly effective technique.
2. I don't agree with the current fashion for making benches out of softwood, as this stuff dents so easily I don't think its suitable.
3. This would be an excellent primer project for someone who is thinking of building a bench soon.
4. Apparently I can use nearly every tool in the shop, even to make something as simple as this.
5. I can't be doing with imperial measurements, so have to convert everything.

I'm not yet sure how useful this will be in my ongoing projects, but Mr. Schwartz seems to think its essential so I'll try it and see.

Ed

And I bet it doesn't have a label on it that says "do not stand on this bench"!!!

Excellent job there Ed and a great project to start a workshop.

Oh to have the space!!!

:D

Jim

jimi43":1gljnhug said:
And I bet it doesn't have a label on it that says "do not stand on this bench"!!!

I think I can safely say you could stand an elephant on this bench - the construction is substantial. I think it may prove handy for sitting or standing on, its certainly strong enough.

Ed

Nice one Ed - looks really useful. I might have a look in the 'shop and see if i've got room to store one.

Cheers

Karl

Beautiful!! I really wanna make one now... was thinking of a pair of sawhorses anyway, this looks much nicer and can double as my sitting bench when not in use. Favourited for later. Can't wait till the garage is organised properly and I can ditch the 2 workmate copies to a dark corner :)

That comes after my room is sorted though!

Desk built - finished today :) Ronseal medium oak satin finish brings a bit of plywood up a treat!

Edit: forgot to ask... what wood did you use (noob here) as you state a dislike for building this sort of thing in softwood.

chingerspy":395tpr7t said:
Edit: forgot to ask... what wood did you use (noob here) as you state a dislike for building this sort of thing in softwood.

Its softwood, which is what led to my comment. My tenons were snug fitting and when I tapped it apart with a Thor rubber mallet after a test fit I ended up with loads of dents. I planed these out, but it made me think that a workbench made out of this would be wrecked after 12 months.

Ed

It's a lovely thing Ed and I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it. I can quite honestly say that's one thing I never want to own, make or use!! ;)

wizer":1b1sh3w7 said:
It's a lovely thing Ed and I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it. I can quite honestly say that's one thing I never want to own, make or use!! ;)

Are you not planning to saw anything then?

Actually I don't know how useful it will be, but I'll give it a go.

Ed

wizer":23ysgpk3 said:
Never by hand. Dovetails maybe.

It would save all this torment with your tablesaw :lol:

I'm intending to push myself to saw by hand more because I think once it becomes more natural it will be a quicker and cleaner way of working in a lot of cases.

Ed

I'm not knocking it, I just personally have no desire to break that much of a sweat in my workshop ;)

Thanks Mr. Ed, I see what you mean now. I'd probably make it from pine too. Expensive otherwise. Out of interest if you were to make another from other wood what might you choose?

I'm veering away from the idea of a tablesaw. So this type of thing is something I'd really like.

I'm now thinking one of these and a pair of stackable saw horses (all made) will be the way to go. All of them will make handy steps, stools, benches and even something to cut wood on ;)

Meaningless twaddle follows:

On the subject of hand/power... I prefer to use hand saws, not sure why, possibly it's a link back to when I made birdboxes in my grandads garden. I do use my circular saw for long straight cuts but otherwise I have been using a small toolbox rip saw and a "tenon" saw from Wickes to make my desk. Payday gave me an excuse to buy a couple of nice LN handsaws. I got an 11" crosscut carcass and 12" tenon saw in Tilgear mmmm nice. Used them today, and they are a joy compared to the disposables - so much weight in them! I'm now on the lookout for a nice panel or rip saw for next months toys. Not really looked at any yet... more browsing :D

I have a couple of Norm type saw horses - 5" wide instead of 7" and not quite substantial as those, but very strong. I think Norm said he keeps his outside and have lasted years?

Nothing wrong with softwood or that they will dent they are a "tool" after all.

Tom - ideal for sawing on, using a knee for support or for cutting down 8x4's using a pair of them. I stand on them, paint from them and use them for glue ups.

Chris Schwarz features them in "The Joiner & Cabinet Maker".

Rod

I was thinking of the Norm ones too, I have the vid so might watch it in a few :)

I'm thinking of an excuse to make at least one soon now tbh. I have a project in mind to create a storage shelf across the garage in the unused area where the door swings up to.

This will help me clear the garage a bit and be a nice area to store the fishing gear so I can use the garage instead of working outside. A bench/step/cutting table would be used in every step of this project and in the future when I need my rods :)

Nice job, Ed. Been wanting to make one myself, but going to have to wait for my wide-topped sawhorses to collapse before I have room. (They're softwood, and I confess I like the fact that in any project-to-sawhorse collision, the sawhorse is more likely to be the one taking the dent.)

Ed, I like the design. Looks to have more use than the average sawhorse or trestle, even though you can't stack one on top of the other.

If you're concerned about dents on the top of the horse, you could attach a sacrificial strip of 18mm MDF. That way, you can cut through it and replace it once it becomes chewed up. Dry biscuit joints work well and won't pipper up you tool edges, as opposed to hitting a screw or nail. :wink:

I'm not concerned at all about dents in the softwood sawbench, what I'm saying is that if I had laboured long and hard on a full size bench in softwood I'd be frustrated for it to be covered in dents after 6 months. I agree that the sawhorse is a bit more sacrificial. The exercise of doing this made me realise that benches need to be something harder that the currently vaunted SYP.

Ed

Latest posts

Back