Rutlands Dakota Mortice Machine Modifications

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
My new Dakota needed some serious adjustments to the sideways and other improvements to make it a viable machine. Without these it was almost impossible to use, particularly the cross slide small knurled knob it was pathetic.

In addition to the slide adjustments, the pics show the alterations I have made. The machine is no longer a trial to use and the adjusted slides have no unwanted movement.

The modification to the cross slide handle & position make it easy to use without catching your hand, the handle extension shaft was kindly made by SEACO

Originally there was no locking screw on the cross slide & and the longitudinal slide had been fitted with a locking screw almost at the end of the casting, if the slide was moved to the extreme left and the locking applied it pushed the gib strip into fresh air. I also replaced the centre screw with a locking lever on the vertical slide this allows temporary locking if needed

I think with these mods it has made this machine ideal for those like myself who require a small hobby type machine.

Back