Record Imp Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a vice called the "Record Imp No 80" and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. It is small, red in colour and designed to be clamped to a surface.

I have done a Google search but I think record and vice/vise have other meanings!

Thanks

D

Dude - Record (amongst others) made a these clamp on vices and they are quite handy for small, light weight metalwork or holding jobs in the 'shop, worth keeping hold of in my view - Rob

woodbloke":1yg1ar4d said:
Dude - Record (amongst others) made a these clamp on vices and they are quite handy for small, light weight metalwork or holding jobs in the 'shop, worth keeping hold of in my view - Rob

I needed a vice last night and remembered I had that one. Never noticed the make or rmodel number before :?

D

The Record Imp #80 vice is shown in my 1959 edition of 'Planecraft'. Not sure when they stopped making it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2yhlph3y said:
The Record Imp #80 vice is shown in my 1959 edition of 'Planecraft'. Not sure when they stopped making it.

Paul

Thanks for letting my know that Paul.

Much appreciated.

D

Here's what it says about it

"The #80 "Imp" Vice is really a minature #74 vice, having 2 1/4" jaws and opening 2 1/2", and in no way must it be confused with either toys or cheap and unsatisfactory vices. It is sturdily and compactly made; the screw is accurately made with machine cut square thread, and there is a parallel grip which is free from any suggestion of looseness. The steel jaws are hardened and of high quality; there is a hardened anvil as in the #74 vice, but of smaller dimensions of course. The slide is of steel. Small tubes and rods can be gripped in the specially designed jaws, and can be bent in the tube bender. It is fastened to the bench with an exceptionally well designed and well-made clamp which is incorporated, which has a grip that is almost unbelievable until it is experienced. The vice weighs 4 1/4 lbs."

Sounds quite good :)

Paul

My father had one - no idea where it is now. Certainly advertised into the 50s, but Record often had things in catalogues (and Planecraft is really a glorified catalogue) after they had ceased production.

Listed as a Table Vice, it cost 10/- in 1938.

I use a No 2, which is a good little vice. I did look for Imps on eBay, but they tended to be broken.

Here is a picture of the vice in question.

IMG_2270.jpg

How would I get rid of the rust?

Regards

D

I would just go over the rusty bits with a wire brush and possibly a green scourer and oil, then just oil the moving parts and use it. Looks to be in very good condition. Those old metalworking vices were built very well. My metalworking vice is a Woden that belonged to my Grandfather - still works like new and will probably out-live me :)

Paul

Do I remember that the earlier Record metal working vices were all red? Or is that a sign of my age related mental deterioration?

By the '70s, I'm pretty sure they were the normal Record blue because I bought a small portable Record metal working vice about then, called a V70, or something like that. I think.

Regards.

Evergreen":23rhvtwa said:
Do I remember that the earlier Record metal working vices were all red? Or is that a sign of my age related mental deterioration?

I've never quite understood why some Record tools were red and others blue. At one time it was to differentiate between cast iron (blue) and "unbreakable" malleable iron (red) spokeshaves. However, other tools were also sometimes painted red. All a bit confusing really - best not to worry about it :)

Paul

The Record 80 was readily available in the early 70's

80.JPG

as was the smaller Eclipse 180

180.JPG

Both were everyday work horses in repair and assembly workshops handling small components.

These two still continue to earn their keep on a regular basis.

CHJ":3idd24uu said:

Both were everyday work horses in repair and assembly workshops handling small components.

I like the Eclipse 180 too.

Very nice.

D

TheDudester":38ycimxv said:
I have a vice called the "Record Imp No 80" and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. It is small, red in colour and designed to be clamped to a surface.

I have done a Google search but I think record and vice/vise have other meanings!

Thanks

D

It's about the best clamp on "table vise" ever made (*). In older catalogues they often list 3-4 variations, with German and USA imports, and paramo, woden, Record.

The Record "Imp" normally tops the price range by a factor of two.

BugBear

(*) Of course, this merely make it a big fish in a small pond)

CHJ":12dulxr2 said:

I don't think the two are comparable. The Imp is a home, "handy man" vise (albeit a fairly posh one) , whereas the Eclipse is an instrument makers vise. Very different areas of application.

I've seen instrument vises sold (and used) for fly tyeing.

BugBear

Back